Bulk reef supply

36boo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I does with alkalinity I use a 1/2 gallon bottle and drip it about 1drop pro sec at night when the lights go off. in the morning I see white stuff on my glass what am I doing worng or what can I do to help this

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You drip 1 drop per second all night long? Have you ever tested your alk in the morning? Unless you have a HUGE SPS reef, that seems like a lot of alk to be dosing.

OP
OP
36boo

36boo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You drip 1 drop per second all night long? Have you ever tested your alk in the morning? Unless you have a HUGE SPS reef, that seems like a lot of alk to be dosing.
I dose 3.5 Oz the some as my calcium just to keep everything up to where they need to be but still adjusting to get it right 36 gallon bow front aquarium I know it sounds like a lot all I have is lps

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stuff is it precipitating out. You are dosing way to much. You should only dose to make up what is consumed. Stop dosing and see how much your alk falls over a week or longer. Make sure your water change takes place within that time period. Take your ending alk level and put it in as the current Alk level in the brs calculator. Take your starting alk level and put it in the desired alk box and calculate. The result is how much you would have consumed over that time period. Let's say your result was 500 ml and it was over 10 days. Then you would dose 50 ml per day of alk. You should also dose the same amount of Ca. You may not even need to be dosing yet.

OP
OP
36boo

36boo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stuff is it precipitating out. You are dosing way to much. You should only dose to make up what is consumed. Stop dosing and see how much your alk falls over a week or longer. Make sure your water change takes place within that time period. Take your ending alk level and put it in as the current Alk level in the brs calculator. Take your starting alk level and put it in the desired alk box and calculate. The result is how much you would have consumed over that time period. Let's say your result was 500 ml and it was over 10 days. Then you would dose 50 ml per day of alk. You should also dose the same amount of Ca. You may not even need to be dosing yet.
After I find what is consumed over that time do I need to get it back up to where I need it and then start with the dosing that I come up with

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is a one step alternative to dosing 2 part. It is dosed through the top off water typically.

Some reefers drip Kalk like you were attempting to dose 2 part.

A dosing pump should be used if doing 2 part so you have consistent metering of the doses throughout the day rather than a swing down then all the way up.

Look into Kalk if you have a small need for 2 part it's easier for some reefers. Helps ph as well. Many good YouTube videos on how it works as well.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I find what is consumed over that time do I need to get it back up to where I need it and then start with the dosing that I come up with

Yes, you can bolus dose alk and Ca separately as needed to do that. After that add them in the same amounts as you determined. After that just measure alk and adjust your dosing up or down on that with equal parts. Every 3-6 months adjust the calcium as needed which will not be far off.

OP
OP
36boo

36boo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can bolus dose alk and Ca separately as needed to do that. After that add them in the same amounts as you determined. After that just measure alk and adjust your dosing up or down on that with equal parts. Every 3-6 months adjust the calcium as needed which will not be far off.
So I need to go off the alkalinity measurements and equal with the Cal

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to go off the alkalinity measurements and equal with the Cal

The test kits we have available are not accurate enough to track from. But the alk kits are and it will change more quickly than Ca. The tank will use 50 ppm Alk for every 20 ppm Ca. The 2 part additives account for this ratio so you can dose them in equal amounts. So all this makes it easier and more accurate to track alk. There are some things like water changes that can be somewhat out of balance. That's why I test every 3 to 6 months and adjust with a dose of Ca. I have never been more than 20 ppm off. And that is typically within the accuracy limits of most test kits. I try to target with 425 but I am happy with anything between 400 and 450.

OP
OP
36boo

36boo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test kits we have available are not accurate enough to track from. But the alk kits are and it will change more quickly than Ca. The tank will use 50 ppm Alk for every 20 ppm Ca. The 2 part additives account for this ratio so you can dose them in equal amounts. So all this makes it easier and more accurate to track alk. There are some things like water changes that can be somewhat out of balance. That's why I test every 3 to 6 months and adjust with a dose of Ca. I have never been more than 20 ppm off. And that is typically within the accuracy limits of most test kits. I try to target with 425 but I am happy with anything between 400 and 450.
Where you like your alkalinity at

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can bring it up with water changes. Hopefully it won't change that much. If you're not using dosing pumps it may be a good thing to consider or dose manually daily without doing the drip method (ie all at once slowly in a high flow area)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back