buying advice - What gear for a Waterbox Marine X 60 (60 Gal)

noblex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I would like some advice on what gear to buy for this aquarium set.

It's a 60x50x50h cm (23.6" x 19.7" x 19.7") display tank with a sump (in total ~220L or 60G). The aquarium will be heavily SPS-oriented and I want to automate everything that can be automated.

1713736490484.png

Not my first reef, but it's several years that I have been out of the hobby and I don't know now what are the latest best buy in skimmers, lights, pumps etc.

Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search threads for your tank
Example

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech makes lovely powerheads and lights.
I only use Reef Octopus for skimmers.
Avast has an excellent auto feeder
Tampa Bay Saltwater has the best live rock

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • +1 on the Avast Plank Auto Feeder.
  • I really like the Vortech MP pumps especially if you mount them on the back they pretty much disappear if you have a black background
    • Gyres seem to be the big thing now. What stopped me going that direction is the reported need for frequent maintenance and being more "intrusive" in the tank then the vortechs.
  • Too many different ways you can go with lighting, there are so many good options you can go with but I like the Radions.
    • Regardless of which light you get, a PAR meter is a huge benefit. Whether you buy, borrow or rent it can make a big difference, IMO.
  • There are a few directions you can go with controllers, I committed to the Neptune line back in the AquaController days and have been relatively happy. Hdros is coming on strong though.
  • Return pump, again, a lot of good options. I wanted to go with the vertex but due to size constraints and head pressure (I have a basement sump and wanted 2 separate return pumps) my only real option for DC was the Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 which has worked well but they are surprisingly loud (even compared to my cheap Jebao DCP-6500 that runs my water mixing station. If I had a cabinet sump I would not go with them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back