C02 tank leaks... What to do?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look cross threaded to me - incredibly hard to do with copper/brass fittings anyhow. Tape on the threads won't help because the nut end isn't sealed (I would have thought this would be intuitively obvious). I always use a wrench to torque down the nut and have never damaged anything (you want the nylon washer to compress slightly). You will want to check the nylon washer to make sure it isn't cracked.

Sometimes the CO2 tank places will give you black fibrous washers .... which I don't find work well at all.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nylon washer from Amazon. All this worked well before but suddenly this is happening same equipment nothing changed...

I did see black O-RING in regulator side, all intact ...

Pack of 5 Co2 Fiber Washers

What I used.... Description it says:

MaterialCo2
Outside Diameter0.75 Inches
Washer TypeFlat
BrandHBYOB
Number of Pieces5
Head StyleFlat
Fastener TypeFlat Washer
Co2 replacement washer
¾" in diameter

If you have an oring, it's must be a threaded brass washer. Make sure that tight.
Like this:
Leak Stopper Pack of 5 - Permanent O-Ring Seal Washer Insert for CO2 Gas Cylinders, Bronze https://a.co/d/d2sg3kh

August

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a minor leak, can't I put some kinda putty in the spot?!! As temporary fix?
I have seen "pipe dope" used on gas connections, like natual gas lines and since it isn't below the water, it shouldn't get into the water for the tank either.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Roberts oxygen nearby to swap co2... That person said if you have an O-ring in the carbon doser regulator you don't need a washer at all... otherwise it becomes too thick it will start to leak gas...!

He also said use a normal wrench to tighten very tight don't use channel locks...

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Roberts oxygen nearby to swap co2... That person said if you have an O-ring in the carbon doser regulator you don't need a washer at all... otherwise it becomes too thick it will start to leak gas...!

He also said use a normal wrench to tighten very tight don't use channel locks...
Good advise.
Were you doing either of them?

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an oring, it's must be a threaded brass washer. Make sure that tight.
Like this:
Leak Stopper Pack of 5 - Permanent O-Ring Seal Washer Insert for CO2 Gas Cylinders, Bronze https://a.co/d/d2sg3kh
Gonna get these from Amazon.
Still has minor leak without washer.
Can't I just get the O-ring instead of the brass part?!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the brass part to really center the O-ring, but I had to remove the stem to fit my tank valves. Otherwise, they would not seat for me. The stems unscrew. I add a little silicon grease on the O-ring to help seal them. They work great - better than the standard washers - and are re-usable.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the role of silicon grease on O-ring?I thought that's to extend their life without cracking...!

Are there other benefits? Like lubricant, sealing agent

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used the plastic CGA-320 washers with the ring on them and never had any problems.

Just never re-use one after tightening it down - always use a new one.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the role of silicon grease on O-ring?I thought that's to extend their life without cracking...!

Are there other benefits? Like lubricant, sealing agent
I use for corning 111
It helps seal.
I used it in down hole drilling equipment. When your a mile down hole drilling at high heat you do not want an oring failure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back