Calling sunburst anemone EXPERTS: When to add one in 15G cube?

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’ve got a 15 gallon AIO cube that’s been set up since April 2023. I know the tank is new but tank is pretty stable. I do 5 gallon water change every other week. Alkalinity is stable at 9dkh. I’ve got a Neptune Apex A3, Kessil A360x, ATO, cooling, helio heater, etc. Temperature stays between 78-78.5.
In fact my rocks are starting to get covered in coralline algae :)
I don’t have any fish right now, just some clean up crew. I do plan on adding one black storm clownfish, a Royal gramma, and a yasha goby in the future.

Given the information above, when do you think I should add a Colorado sunburst anemone?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

1099B6B1-8A2E-4D9E-8407-D391BAF23C7E.jpeg

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but most people on here recommend a more mature tank that is 6-12 months old. I’m sure they’ll chime in good luck

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
8months minimum. it’s not so much the water parameters as it is actual tank age via biodiversity (water parameters are of course very important). you need a well established biome

OP
OP
G

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8months minimum. it’s not so much the water parameters as it is actual tank age via biodiversity (water parameters are of course very important). you need a well established biome
I’m aware of the importance of biodiversity so I’ll be adding a couple pounds of very old live rock like 10year-old rock to the back of the tank. I may also add some rubble rock from tampa
Bay saltwater since I live in Florida :)

OP
OP
G

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already know the answer. Your tank is not mature yet. There isn't a good time to add a sensitive, expensive anenome to an immature tank.
I actually don’t so that’s why I’m asking the experts :)

When do you know a tank is mature then for an anemone? Let’s say the tank can grow SPS, would you still say that the tank is still “immature”?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m aware of the importance of biodiversity so I’ll be adding a couple pounds of very old live rock like 10year-old rock to the back of the tank. I may also add some rubble rock from tampa
all good things to add well before the anemone. i’d even go as far as getting rubble from your LFS and even sand or rubble from aquabiomics so you know exactly what’s in the sample

OP
OP
G

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all good things to add well before the anemone. i’d even go as far as getting rubble from your LFS and even sand or rubble from aquabiomics so you know exactly what’s in the sample
I just found out about aquabiomics just a couple of minutes ago from reading one of your posts! :) I’ll order some rubble from kpaquatics too

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do this, in quantity, the tank is essentially what most would call Mature.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your experience or just purely an opinion? I’ve been reading several threads here with people keeping regular BTA in smaller tanks but not surbursts though
A sunburst is still Just a BTA. All of the same care requirements. No real need to differentiate for the purpose of suitability.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you know a tank is mature then for an anemone?
Actively adding coral, you get new bacteria on every plugs. For an actively added to tank id say 8 months.

A tank left to make with no outside added diversity can take a very long time.
Let’s say the tank can grow SPS, would you still say that the tank is still “immature”?
No. I don't factor growing SPS anywhere in my suitability equation.

OP
OP
G

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do this, in quantity, the tank is essentially what most would call Mature.
I’ll definitely be contacting WWC and TSA and see if they can let me buy some very old rubble rocks. I’ll still add some rubble
From kpaquatics and aquabiomics.

(I’m not rushing this obviously since I don’t even have fish yet. Also, why I’m asking the anemone experts.)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ll definitely be contacting WWC and TSA and see if they can let me buy some very old rubble rocks. I’ll still add some rubble
From kpaquatics and aquabiomics.

(I’m not rushing this obviously since I don’t even have fish yet. Also, why I’m asking the anemone experts.)
TSA sells live biomedia!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back