OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome build - saw this on RC a while back. Looks great with all th frags.
where did you get the magnetic probe holders?
Thanks phi delt reefer - I don't recall where I ordered them from. Google Zoo Med Mag Clip and you'll find a few sources. I found them on sale somewhere and bought 50 of them. They are extremely handy for everything from probes and dosing lines to Frags.
Good choice on the rbta!! I just g0t one and it stayed where I wanted it to stay and my platinums started hosting in 36 hours which is pretty uncommon haha. The tank is awesome I will be following.
Thanks BigFeesh - It will he a while before I consider fish or Nems - An additional concern is this tank is very tightly packed with aquascaping - As is, there is very little room for anything to swim. It would take some modifying to get it ready for fish.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pics...

DSC_1106.jpg

DSC_1116.jpg

DSC_1094.jpg

DSC_1000.jpg
'
DSC_1005.jpg

DSC_1030.jpg

DSC_1031.jpg

DSC_1033.jpg

DSC_1034.jpg

DSC_1035.jpg
DSC_1036.jpg

DSC_1039.jpg

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1043.jpg

DSC_1045.jpg

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the nano and creative rockwork! That's really going to look incredible when the acans start to drip over the edges with growth.

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm really digging this one. The rock work, all the acans, and the tank dems are all adding up to one crazy cool tank. I'm going to have to follow along with your thread here to see just how cool it looks in a few months. Great job!!!

Who says nanos can't kick butt!?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CSQ - Talk about a sweet looking 12 gallon!! Love the rock work and tank design. Great pictures!! Keep up the good work!!

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
subscribed..

you took a lot of time planning and setting up.. and it totally paid off.. nice looking tank

also good to see your acros keeping their color..

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the nano and creative rockwork! That's really going to look incredible when the acans start to drip over the edges with growth.
Thanks Sara :) - That is exactly what I had in my "minds eye" when laying this out. Many the Acans are positioned so they will also meld together.

OK, I'm really digging this one. The rock work, all the acans, and the tank dems are all adding up to one crazy cool tank. I'm going to have to follow along with your thread here to see just how cool it looks in a few months. Great job!!!

Who says nanos can't kick butt!?
Thanks - geckoman2003, I've had much more than 12 gallons worth of enjoyment building this one :)

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the coolest builds I have seen in awhile. How do you get any work done? Haha, but really great aquascape and I really like the overall look of the display :)

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CSQ - Talk about a sweet looking 12 gallon!! Love the rock work and tank design. Great pictures!! Keep up the good work!!
Thanks fsu1dolfan :)

subscribed..
you took a lot of time planning and setting up.. and it totally paid off.. nice looking tank
also good to see your acros keeping their color..
Thanks Toxic :) I'm very pleased with how well the SPS have responded. The LED/T-5 combination is working out nicely. I'm seeing more coloration develop every day and lots of new heads on the Acans.

This is one of the coolest builds I have seen in awhile. How do you get any work done? Haha, but really great aquascape and I really like the overall look of the display :)
Thanks subielover :) I've had a lot of fun designing and building this tank. My productivity decrease is somewhat offset by my desire to spend more time at work - I actually look forward to walking into my office.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MP-10 and a spare wet-side arrived today and after a bit of fiddling around, I was able to find a good location. It's hidden behind the skimmer, providing alternating current against that of the Tunze. It's amazing how much flow is required to eliminate dead spots in this dense aquascape. In addition to the Tunze, the MP-10 is running ReefCrest maxing out at 50%. At that setting it creates a nice alternating flow and appears to be a significant improvement for the SPS shelf.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... love the rockwork.... and everything for that matter!! Inspired me to do something similar for my upcoming 40g:)

Fyi....I don't know how I would get work done in this office!!LOL:tongue:nevertheless looking forward to having one in my office also... when the time comes:wink:

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks PR_Reefers :)

I'm really enjoying this tank in fact, I'm already thinking about a larger version (96X~18X~18) that will serve as a room divider (between dining room and family room.) For me this is an ideal shape. I always have my hands in the tank tinkering with something. This shallow, rimless shape provides easy access and top-down viewing.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks PR_Reefers :)

I'm really enjoying this tank in fact, I'm already thinking about a larger version (96X~18X~18) that will serve as a room divider (between dining room and family room.) For me this is an ideal shape. I always have my hands in the tank tinkering with something. This shallow, rimless shape provides easy access and top-down viewing.

Nice.... looking forward to this thread soon then...:tongue:

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a few hour today literally ripping apart the tank...

I noted that, that despite 1000+ GPH flow in a 12 gallon tank, there were a few dead spots where detritus and cyano were collecting. The aquascaping was just too dense to allow for proper flow in this long/narrow tank.

The flow problem coupled with the fact the tank looked overcrowded with rock convinced me to remove the right pillar. Thankfully I designed all the rockwork to be modular. The pillars are all stand alone pieces. Even the bridge pieces are not permanently attached, they simply "key" into the pillars. The additional open space allowed me to adjust the other two pillars, creating more negative space, which I think looks much better and greatly improves flow throughout the tank.

I think I also decided what to do with the reverse side of the tank. The Reefbrite LEDs are angled to provide higher PAR to top shelf and obverse side of the tank. The reverse is lower lighting and provides 3' of perfect Zoa garden space. All the "nooks and crannies" will be perfect for tons of Zoas that can grow throughout the aquascaping.

The tank was a bit cloudy from all the moving around - I'll get photos updated on Friday. So when it's all said and done - it was a good tank day :)

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome little tank.i love the rockwork,love the way you set it up,and love that its chock full of nice corals.i will be watching this thread,i have a nano as well and find it to be more fun than my larger tanks in the past.i dont think you will have much if any problems with stability with your equipment and overall plan for water changes and dosing.i keep my tank stable with weekly water changes and zero additives,i dose no 2 part or kalk.i do a 5g water change weekly and all of my corals look great and are growing well.nice job and good luck.....NANO TANKS ROCK.....

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you check out Calvin's 12 footer build thread. He has it on a few of the sites. Its dimensions were something like 144" x 18" x 18" and I can vouche for it being one amazing tank in person.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back