Can a newer MP40wQD control an older MP10ES?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BigDCowboys22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back into the hobby and that includes a tank upgrade to a 150 (72.5x18.5x29.5). I have an older MP10ES (circa 2012 if I remember right) and am eyeing a used MP40wQD to add to the new build. My first question is can I control the older ES (slave mode?) with the newer wQD and then run the wQD through mobius effectively controlling both through mobius?

Second question is thoughts on these 2 plus ~900gph sump return for flow? I'm targeting a mixed reef but will probably hold off on SPS for some time and could supplement flow later if needed. A lot of older threads suggest needing multiple (2-3 min) MP40s for this size tank but the Ecotech tool seems to suggest this in the sweet spot for LPS with enough oomph to go SPS.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately your old es won't be able to communicate with the newer mobius software.

To my knowledge there's no plans to use a mobius controlled pump to drag along older non mobius ready pumps along.

As for water flow, that's very subjective. I'd prefer more flow by power heads and not use flow through the sump as part of the calculation.

You can only know if a 10 and 40 is enough. Although for 150g, I'd say no....

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to make it work, This is what you need to do:
you need to add this:
and this: not in stock at the moment but call them and they can let you know when the new shipment is coming or they may have not updated their web site yet.
I have done this to my old mp10ES 's
Depending on the MP40 build date you may need a "black chip" for mobius also. You could also switch to green chips and use a reef link, there are a lot of those floating around.

OP
OP
B

BigDCowboys22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. If I drop the mobius requirement could the MP10 (I just confirmed it's the older green RF) be put into slave mode and be controlled by the wQD? I'm trying to minimize my button presses for feed mode, water change, etc. I'm not totally opposed to upgrading the MP10 if needed. Just trying to slow the hemorrhage of money before I even have water :)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. If I drop the mobius requirement could the MP10 (I just confirmed it's the older green RF) be put into slave mode and be controlled by the wQD? I'm trying to minimize my button presses for feed mode, water change, etc. I'm not totally opposed to upgrading the MP10 if needed. Just trying to slow the hemorrhage of money before I even have water :)
I am actually not sure about that one. I have a bunch of green chips and a reef link here I never used. I just went straight for möbius.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for certain if it's still an option, but you were able to roll the mobius ready devices back.

You'd have to do some Googling and see if it's still possible, if so, then yes you can have them both communicate with each other.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back