Can anyone id this please?

Raven k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0167.jpeg

Any one know what these are? Never seen them before and not put anything new in recently image.jpg

OP
OP
Raven k

Raven k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have remotely like it is a green Kenya tree, could it have split maybe?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of weird tunicate algae haha! Never seen that one before.. @ISpeakForTheSeas
Yeah, definitely colonial tunicates - these are harmless filter feeders, and these aren't the typical, highly invasive kind.

Super cool find!

When was the last time you added something to your tank, and are you feeding any tiny foods (like phyto, coral feeds, etc.)?

I ask because these kinds don't typically do very well in our tanks, but your colony seems ro be doing fine.

OP
OP
Raven k

Raven k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely colonial tunicates - these are harmless filter feeders, and these aren't the typical, highly invasive kind.

Super cool find!

When was the last time you added something to your tank, and are you feeding any tiny foods (like phyto, coral feeds, etc.)?

I ask because these kinds don't typically do very well in our tanks, but your colony seems ro be doing fine.
Last time anything went in was about a month ago and nothing that big could have been on the frags without me being able to see it so either they’ve grown a lot or they came in earlier on bigger stuff. I do feed pod’s regularly and coral feed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bud from your Kenya Coral. It must be that time of year. The one I have in my classroom reef has been dropping off buds for weeks now. They are everywhere.
Colonial tunicate.. was I’d above…

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a bud from your Kenya Coral. It must be that time of year. The one I have in my classroom reef has been dropping off buds for weeks now. They are everywhere.
If Kenya Tree coral buds can be see-through, that's a definite possibility that I hadn't thought of.

The openings of the holes/polyps do seem to all have 8 tentacles, so that would be consistent with an octocoral.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back