Can anyone identify whats happening in my tank? Youtube video

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a you tube video here. I can tell the dinos from the golden things. And im pretty sure the large circular ones are prorocentrum. but there is a second kind that i cant identify. There is also wierd creature thats not a copepod i dont think. then there is wierd stick things. Any ideas what any of this stuff is? Any Id's would help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I made a you tube video here. I can tell the dinos from the golden things. And im pretty sure the large circular ones are prorocentrum. but there is a second kind that i cant identify. There is also wierd creature thats not a copepod i dont think. then there is wierd stick things. Any ideas what any of this stuff is? Any Id's would help.
Either procentrum or amphidinium. The tank itself dos not show appearance of dino but green film algae often associated with new tanks and bright lighting. If this is a new tank, I would lower white intensity and ride this out rather than disrupt a developing cycling. Tiu may now add snails such as cerith, nerite, turbo grazer and trochus to help with control.
What is current nitrate and phosphate levels?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either procentrum or amphidinium. The tank itself dos not show appearance of dino but green film algae often associated with new tanks and bright lighting. If this is a new tank, I would lower white intensity and ride this out rather than disrupt a developing cycling. Tiu may now add snails such as cerith, nerite, turbo grazer and trochus to help with control.
What is current nitrate and phosphate levels?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
you know whats funny is my tank for the first time has a green slime on it, and the socks smell like algae for the first time. I have been dosing silicates and neo phos and neo nitrate to induce a bloom.

My numbers are tested every day.
nitrate- its ranging between 2-6ppm
phosphate- ranging from 0.04 and 0.14 depending on how much neophos im dosing
salinity- is a bit all over the place because my hydrometer was giving me wierd numbers. i just bought a refractometer yesterday. my hydrometer was showing 1.022. the refractometer is showing 1.031. stupid plastic cheap hydrometer. smh.
Alk- always around 9.5

i have a rodi filter. i use reef crystal salt

I am dosing silicates daily. I bought a UV sterilizer. it does nothing. I did Dr Tims dino protocol. 3 day blackout, refresh, then waste away. i thought they were gone. i thought i beat them. the blackout plus waste away killed them. then they came right back.

I dont trust my lights. so i just bought the radion g6s it should arrive today. im going to set it on the preset they recomment.

also. doesnt my dinos look like this? i think this might be them. this video shows odd shaped ones so maybe it is all one type of dino. this video shows amphindinum dinos as circular but also some oval ones too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
you know whats funny is my tank for the first time has a green slime on it, and the socks smell like algae for the first time. I have been dosing silicates and neo phos and neo nitrate to induce a bloom.

My numbers are tested every day.
nitrate- its ranging between 2-6ppm
phosphate- ranging from 0.04 and 0.14 depending on how much neophos im dosing
salinity- is a bit all over the place because my hydrometer was giving me wierd numbers. i just bought a refractometer yesterday. my hydrometer was showing 1.022. the refractometer is showing 1.031. stupid plastic cheap hydrometer. smh.
Alk- always around 9.5

i have a rodi filter. i use reef crystal salt

I am dosing silicates daily. I bought a UV sterilizer. it does nothing. I did Dr Tims dino protocol. 3 day blackout, refresh, then waste away. i thought they were gone. i thought i beat them. the blackout plus waste away killed them. then they came right back.

I dont trust my lights. so i just bought the radion g6s it should arrive today. im going to set it on the preset they recomment.

also. doesnt my dinos look like this? i think this might be them. this video shows odd shaped ones so maybe it is all one type of dino. this video shows amphindinum dinos as circular but also some oval ones too.

I would quit adding these to a new tank and let it rise on its own, I dont see any fish and often feeding alone will increase your numbers.
I would set the lights first on acclimation setting and seek some schedules often posted on you tube and by members. With LED lighting, our eyes can deceive us and what appears dark may be pright and the opposite, reason we measure PAR

I also suggest to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and phosphates to compare readings with yours - then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 141 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back