Can I FRAG this?

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this chalice that has an algae patch growing right down the center. I am wondering if I can frag off the edges or is it a lost cause? I unserstand they don't like h2o2 and the algae gets rooted in and difficult to remove. Any help greatly appreciated. I've never fraged anything before and have watched the video in this forum sticky.

20240229_202920.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this chalice that has an algae patch growing right down the center. I am wondering if I can frag off the edges or is it a lost cause? I unserstand they don't like h2o2 and the algae gets rooted in and difficult to remove. Any help greatly appreciated. I've never fraged anything before and have watched the video in this forum sticky.

20240229_202920.jpg
Have you tried dabbing H2O2 on just the algae? I've used a q-tip in a similar situation... Either that or stick a turbo snail on that spot :)

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. I'll give it a go with the q-tip tomorrow and give it a week or so to see what happens. In your situation did the coral recover? Kinda bummed as I really like the colors of this piece.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices tend to be pretty hardy. How long has the algae been growing in the middle of it? I would definitely consider dragging if this doesn’t change soon.
Unfortunately it's been going on a few weeks. Been working crazy hours and have had little time to address this. Free weekend this week and will be going after it then. Going to try q-tip and H2o2 as Eeoyore has suggested.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it's been going on a few weeks. Been working crazy hours and have had little time to address this. Free weekend this week and will be going after it then. Going to try q-tip and H2o2 as Eeoyore has suggested.
You might just want to frag it anyway. Depending on the type of chalice, it's easy to crush the skeleton if you're not careful so I'd recommend taking it to someone with a gryphon or similar, or at the very least, find an extra pair of hands and use a diamond cutting wheel on a Dremel.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might just want to frag it anyway. Depending on the type of chalice, it's easy to crush the skeleton if you're not careful so I'd recommend taking it to someone with a gryphon or similar, or at the very least, find an extra pair of hands and use a diamond cutting wheel on a Dremel.
Thanks for the tips. The skeleton is not really thick so it may be a good idea to cut it with a gryphon. I'll check with my local frag supplier. I'm almost positive he has a saw. I've spent enough money in his shop and he's really nice so I'm sure he'd cut it for me. If I did use a dremel would I cut it from the backside?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. The skeleton is not really thick so it may be a good idea to cut it with a gryphon. I'll check with my local frag supplier. I'm almost positive he has a saw. I've spent enough money in his shop and he's really nice so I'm sure he'd cut it for me. If I did use a dremel would I cut it from the backside?
I don't think it matters, but be sure to only use it a few seconds at a time and dip the coral back into saltwater in between ... The blade/wheel gets hot fast.

OP
OP
Srfnhooker

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it matters, but be sure to only use it a few seconds at a time and dip the coral back into saltwater in between ... The blade/wheel gets hot fast.
OK. I'll check with LFS first and if that doesn't work it's time for a trip to Lowe's. Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back