Can I keep a seahorse and horseshoe crab with a dwarf lion?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a 90 gallon tank, and I am thinking of keeping a dwarf lion and one or two seahorses in my old 45 gallon, or in a 40 gallon breeder. Will the dwarf lion attack the seahorses, or will they be fine? and do they have a tendency to jump out? I might go with an octopus instead, but it would make connecting the tank my sump a little questionable.

Last edited:

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to do some more research. First, requirements for keeping seahorses in a tank are very different from keeping lionfish. Second, lionfish are predacious, I would tend to think you are going to eat the seahorses. Octopi are very difficult to keep in a tank, as are horseshoe crabs. Also horseshoe crabs require a DSB.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to go with just seahorses after some more research. Im going to buy some kelp for them to hold on to and put all the lr on the sides with some tonga branch. Im going to leave a platform in the back of the rockwork for caulerpa and chaeto to grow, as well as supplement from my refugium as needed.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back