Can I travel with livestock?

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few fish that I was going to ship from NY to FL. I am actually going to NY for a few days. My question is if anyone knows if I can just pack my fish as if I was shipping them but then just check in the box as a piece of luggage with me on the plane? It would make it way cheaper and much easier for me to do it that way. It’s also a lot quicker than overnight shipping which is better for the fish. Has anyone done this in the past? I know a lot of people fly to frag swaps. I have the foam box and heat packs ready. As far as oxygen I don’t have a tank but I got oxygen in a can from Amazon.

Boost Oxygen 10 Liter All Natural Flavored Large Supplemental Canned Oxygen Bottle with Mouthpiece for Respiratory Support, Green/Silver (4 Pack)​

Any help or experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few fish that I was going to ship from NY to FL. I am actually going to NY for a few days. My question is if anyone knows if I can just pack my fish as if I was shipping them but then just check in the box as a piece of luggage with me on the plane? It would make it way cheaper and much easier for me to do it that way. It’s also a lot quicker than overnight shipping which is better for the fish. Has anyone done this in the past? I know a lot of people fly to frag swaps. I have the foam box and heat packs ready. As far as oxygen I don’t have a tank but I got oxygen in a can from Amazon.

Boost Oxygen 10 Liter All Natural Flavored Large Supplemental Canned Oxygen Bottle with Mouthpiece for Respiratory Support, Green/Silver (4 Pack)​

Any help or experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Possibly... airports might have restrictions about water. If I had to guess you could definitely do it with the cold and heat packs. I know a guy who transported an octopus in just a bag so im sure itll be fine. Goodluck!

OP
OP
Adamc13o3

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I bring it all ready to go and have a FedEx label ready. I’m flying out of JFK which has a big FedEx hub. If the airline gives me an issue I’ll have to get to the terminal where FedEx is and just drop off the box I guess.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I bring it all ready to go and have a FedEx label ready. I’m flying out of JFK which has a big FedEx hub. If the airline gives me an issue I’ll have to get to the terminal where FedEx is and just drop off the box I guess.
oh boy... I do hope it'll be alright..

OP
OP
Adamc13o3

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually found the answers online. A few YouTube videos and tsa website. Live fish are NOT allowed in checked bagged but are allowed on the plane with you. You just need to show them to TSA so they can inspect. It actually makes the process even easier.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually found the answers online. A few YouTube videos and tsa website. Live fish are NOT allowed in checked bagged but are allowed on the plane with you. You just need to show them to TSA so they can inspect. It actually makes the process even easier.
I see... well then I wish you luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back