Can I use this for for my Calcium mix?

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help as it’s that time to make more calcium solution.

I seem to have bought a more expensive calcium chloride - hexahydrate CaC12 6H2O

Rather than my usual Calcium Chloride Dihydrate CaCl2.H2O

Will I this do the job?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help as it’s that time to make more calcium solution.

I seem to have bought a more expensive calcium chloride - hexahydrate CaC12 6H2O

Rather than my usual Calcium Chloride Dihydrate CaCl2.H2O

Will I this do the job?

That’s an odd chemical to have available. Do you have a link?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure
It’s an online seller in England

It seems expensive, but I’m not sure what other choices you have there. There’s nothing wiring with being the hexahydrate, but it is a bit less potent then the dihydrate.

OP
OP
brucey

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems expensive, but I’m not sure what other choices you have there. There’s nothing wiring with being the hexahydrate, but it is a bit less potent then the dihydrate.
Ok, thanks for answering so quickly
The last thing I need is for an even more diluted mix and the dosers to be on even longer!

Mistake on my part, I spent ages trying to find a higher purity calcium chloride and didn’t spot the difference.
The dihydrate over here is 70%ish pure and I get a load of crud left at the bottom.
Looks like I’ll just have to make do

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing I need is for an even more diluted mix and the dosers to be on even longer!

Mistake on my part, I spent ages trying to find a higher purity calcium chloride and didn’t spot the difference.
The dihydrate over here is 70%ish pure and I get a load of crud left at the bottom.

To be clear, you can make it to the same potency, it just takes more solid to get there.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, calcium chloride dihydrate that is 100% pure is only about 78% calcium chloride, so that 78 percentage reflects the water weight, not other sorts of impurities.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back