Can marine ich go away on it's own?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a wrasse a few days ago. It stays mostly in the rocks. Today while feeding I noticed a few white spots on him. No way can I catch him. Is it possible it will resolve on its own? Only one other fish in my tank and he's fine.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can develop a limited immunity over time, but that is not what you're most likely seeing. The parasite is visible on the fish for a short amount of time, the parasite then falls off the fish and continues it's life cycle in the substrate. Marine ich also resides in the gills of fish, so fish can be infected and you may not see the parasite. Once the fish experience a stressor the fish may become symptomatic again.
The white spot may have also been sand or something other than marine ich so keep an eye out and grab an images when able.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a wrasse a few days ago. It stays mostly in the rocks. Today while feeding I noticed a few white spots on him. No way can I catch him. Is it possible it will resolve on its own? Only one other fish in my tank and he's fine.

No. It may fall off only to reproduce and it will eventually get all your fish. If they are healthy they can fight it off but it will always be in your tank waiting for a stressor to take advantage and kill them. Look at the other Ich threads but you need to remove all fish for 76 days and treat the fish in an HT with copper.

I'm going through the process as I write this.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems fish these days aren't as healthy as years ago or maybe I'm just having some really bad luck! Even if it is and I wait the 76 days any fish I add can be a problem. It wasn't this hard years ago.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems fish these days aren't as healthy as years ago or maybe I'm just having some really bad luck! Even if it is and I wait the 76 days any fish I add can be a problem. It wasn't this hard years ago.

Right, you would then need to QT any new fish before they join your display to be sure you don't introduce ich or something worse into the display.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses secrete a mucus around there body at night, which helps fight off parasites for what I understand. Hopefully your wrasse will get better.

Also I had Ich in my old reef tank but my fish did OK with a healthy immune system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse seems OK today. Just found out my LFS will Quarantine fish for me for an additional fee. Might be worth it other than doing it myself? I have a 58 gallon tank so can't fit too many in there.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse seems OK today. Just found out my LFS will Quarantine fish for me for an additional fee. Might be worth it other than doing it myself? I have a 58 gallon tank so can't fit too many in there.

Never trust any QT but your own. That's my advice.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I'm sure he knows more than I do.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if I decide to do my own QT. I can use a plastic storage bin will I be able to use a hang on filter with that? I will need a heater and powerhead and ammonia alert. Is that it? Coppersafe. PVC. Am I missing anything here? How do I dose for preventive?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I'm sure he knows more than I do.

Really. It's mainly because you just can't be sure if it's done properly, what meds they are using and what dosages, and then there's cross contamination. I work in a fish store and I can tell you that there is so much water movement and so many tanks to have your hands in, that it's next to impossible to stop aerosol transmission at a minimum and difficult to stop cross contamination between tanks. You can't trust anybody's QT but your own.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they need to stay in there if I putting in new fish?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if I decide to do my own QT. I can use a plastic storage bin will I be able to use a hang on filter with that? I will need a heater and powerhead and ammonia alert. Is that it? Coppersafe. PVC. Am I missing anything here? How do I dose for preventive?
Read these. They will explain in a lot more detail than I can type out quickly enough.
How to Quarantine
Copper
Medications to keep on hand

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I'm not sure yet. Might just be sand. It's just on her tail. Hard to see in a photo.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I'm not sure yet. Might just be sand. It's just on her tail. Hard to see in a photo.

If it's sand, it will be gone in a matter of hours. Ich will remain in the same spot for several days.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's sand, it will be gone in a matter of hours. Ich will remain in the same spot for several days.

I guess time will tell. I'll just have to wait and see. No way can I catch her and I only have one other fish in there.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back