Can someone help me id these?

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to use a microscope from a friend (see picture). I am thinking it is an algae. It is all over my tank. I can't get control of it. Water changes weekly. Phosphates/Nitrate levels have never been out of check since I started the tank 9 months ago. Everything is fine but these are all consuming. I am beginning to hate dry rock as I cannot start a tank without some algae taking over. Lights out will solve over about 1 month. But it just comes back. My thought now is identifying and trying to move forward. White to light brown in color. Grows everywhere and fast (glass, heater, sand bed, etc). Run 90% blues.

Fish Tank.jpg 20240331_005533096_iOS.jpg

OP
OP
S

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though. I did some searching on the web and that microscopic picture looks like a Diatom. Sure does not look like a GHA. But the tank is over 9 months old and the Diatom has long hairs (over 1 inch). So confused

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got to use a microscope from a friend (see picture). I am thinking it is an algae. It is all over my tank. I can't get control of it. Water changes weekly. Phosphates/Nitrate levels have never been out of check since I started the tank 9 months ago. Everything is fine but these are all consuming. I am beginning to hate dry rock as I cannot start a tank without some algae taking over. Lights out will solve over about 1 month. But it just comes back. My thought now is identifying and trying to move forward. White to light brown in color. Grows everywhere and fast (glass, heater, sand bed, etc). Run 90% blues.

Fish Tank.jpg 20240331_005533096_iOS.jpg
This substance is known as Chrysophytes and is labor work for removal. Take the rock out and place in large container with tank water.
Give the tank a good siphon and clean all filters and skimmer if you have one.
Scrub the rock with a firm toothbrush Or auto detail brush and 3% peroxide. Agitate to shake off particles and add cleaners such as Pitho crabs, chiton snails, ninja star snails and caribbean blue leg hermits to help with control and reduce white intensity a little and increase water flow. You likely have inadequate flow which allowed this to adhere to rock

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though. I did some searching on the web and that microscopic picture looks like a Diatom. Sure does not look like a GHA. But the tank is over 9 months old and the Diatom has long hairs (over 1 inch). So confused
Definitely looks like diatoms attached to filamentous algae from your microscope picture, not sure on exact identification though. What does your clean up crew look like?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Today it just looks like some form of filamentous algae. The supposed diatoms are gone. Can they go away that fast? I am going to do a water change tonight and see if the diatoms come back. Kinda of a cool puzzle. But that Algae will grow on the sand beds and walls and it spreads fast. My CUC is not very big and I will be adding. Thanks everyone for thoughts so far.

OP
OP
S

skipcurl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though, I just took from my heater and now I see them again. Would Diatoms move while on the microscope? These do not move. I do see what looks to be some very small worms moving aound.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Diatoms move while on the microscope? These do not move. I do see what looks to be some very small worms moving aound.
The diatoms probably would not move, no:

"They are non-motile, or capable of only limited movement along a substrate by secretion of mucilaginous material along a slit-like groove or channel called a raphe."*

The little worms may be tiny worms, ciliates, or something else.

*Source:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back