Can someone help me id this turtle

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi new here. Just got this guy by a relative on my birthday today. Screenshot_20230422-220741_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20230422-220747_Video Player.jpg
Red ear slider and the most basic of pet turtles and is aquatic. Easy care and eats dried insects and turtle pellets and does well in a 20 gallon long tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Definitely not a red eared slider. Looks to me like an Indian Roofed Turtle (Pangshura tecta). Not a species that is at all common in the U.S., so I'm not entirely sure as to its care, but it seems like they are very similar to our map turtles. Looks like they get pretty big as well, up to about 20 cm. I'd recommend a 75 - 90 gallon tank (or pond/trough of at least the same size) filled around 2/3rds of the way with water. A dry basking area with UVB is an absolute must, otherwise the turtle will stunt, suffer from MBD, and live a short and painful life. As for feeding, I'd give it a mixture of turtle pellets, leafy greens, and the occasional worm as well, with cuttlebone available for shell growth. Turtles are great pets if properly cared for, but they need much more maintenance than is often recommended. Good luck with your little turtle!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just looked on larger screen than my phone yes and is Indian roof and has similar habitat to red ear slider but different diet in which it eats snails, greens, small crabs, weeds, dandelions and grass

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a turtle guy. But I was under the assumption that even red eared sliders need way more space than that?

Yep. 10 gallons per inch is the general guideline for turtles. A very large red ear is as big as 16 inches in carapace length, so one that big would need a 160 gallon. Because of the square cube law, I'd bump that up to 180 gallons. To be fair, most won't get over about 8 - 10 inches, and would be fine in a 90 - 120 gallon. A juvenile could live in a 20 gallon, but it certainly won't last more than a few months. This is why I don't have turtles. I'd rather be using that 180 gallon for a reef or planted tank.

OP
OP
M

Mr turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. 10 gallons per inch is the general guideline for turtles. A very large red ear is as big as 16 inches in carapace length, so one that big would need a 160 gallon. Because of the square cube law, I'd bump that up to 180 gallons. To be fair, most won't get over about 8 - 10 inches, and would be fine in a 90 - 120 gallon. A juvenile could live in a 20 gallon, but it certainly won't last more than a few months. This is why I don't have turtles. I'd rather be using that 180 gallon for a reef or planted tank.
I noticed larger one is trying to bit smaller one so I separated them. I'll try to arrange a big tank for them. They mostly wants to explore the home so spending more time outside the tank. Also, smaller one is not eating pellets, just eating meaty foods

OP
OP
M

Mr turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone wants to do skating:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. Today Both r following each other but smaller one not eating food. Probably I'll consult that pet store today IMG_20230424_140644.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone wants to do skating:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. Today Both r following each other but smaller one not eating food. Probably I'll consult that pet store today IMG_20230424_140644.jpg

Do they have water deep enough to swim available to them? Both are aquatic, and being out of water for very long is bad for them. I ask because that turtle's shell looks very dry. If they do have water but aren't using it, try doing a big water change with dechlorinated water. Bad parameters will sometimes cause a turtle to stay on land. Also, what are you feeding them? Sometimes turtles will be stubborn and stay away from pellets. Try dark leafy greens and earthworms, that'd be closer to their natural diet.

OP
OP
M

Mr turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have water deep enough to swim available to them? Both are aquatic, and being out of water for very long is bad for them. I ask because that turtle's shell looks very dry. If they do have water but aren't using it, try doing a big water change with dechlorinated water. Bad parameters will sometimes cause a turtle to stay on land. Also, what are you feeding them? Sometimes turtles will be stubborn and stay away from pellets. Try dark leafy greens and earthworms, that'd be closer to their natural diet.
Yup smaller one ate pellets. How long should they both be in water? I'll be soon getting uvb lights too. Today,I took both for sunlight. If they had uvb, they will still need sunlight?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup smaller one ate pellets. How long should they both be in water? I'll be soon getting uvb lights too. Today,I took both for sunlight. If they had uvb, they will still need sunlight?

I recommend them having both water and UVB lighting available at all times. While they can be healthy for a time without them (maybe a week for water, a month or so for UVB), they will absolutely need them to survive in the long run. Both are essential for your turtle. Sunlight can provide UVB, but the turtle will need to spend all day outside in a deep pond with partial shade. UVB and clean, plentiful, and oxygenated water are needed for all aquatic turtles. This is what happens when a turtle gets too little UVB, whether from the sun or not. This is called Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Very unhealthy for the animal, as UVB is needed for shell growth and the turtle's internal functions.

1682385044564.png

That being said, I'm not a turtle expert. I highly recommend joining this forum, the folks over there will be able to help you much more. Roofed turtles are very uncommon in the U.S. (I don't believe I've ever seen one here), but I think that there are a few folks here from India who have them, as well as breeders and conservationists who know more. Hope this helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back