Candy Cane Split/Stalk Recession

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I bought this splitting candy cane over a month ago, and it’s split is close to finishing at this point. When I got it, they were still mostly connected and the mouths were close together, however, it had a large amount of tissue down its stalk.

Where the coral is currently sitting, it is getting 80-100 PAR, but I think the store I got it from must have been lower because it was extremely inflated. It was also super greedy to eat, but not so much anymore. Thus far, I have attributed their smaller size and not wanting to eat as a sign of greater light exposure (its nutrients are being fulfilled by the light).

Here is what they looked like before:

IMG_4260.jpeg

And now:

IMG_4468.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg

Is this a cause of too high of light and/or splitting?

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically don’t know how this coral responds to light parameters but I have observed that the candy canes and likewise the Duncan coral (similar morphology) can change significantly over time in captivity, and as they adapt and grow under their habitat. Looks healthy, should keep growing and splitting as it does.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically don’t know how this coral responds to light parameters but I have observed that the candy canes and likewise the Duncan coral (similar morphology) can change significantly over time in captivity, and as they adapt and grow under their habitat. Looks healthy, should keep growing and splitting as it does.

I did notice that the upper one started to puff up a bit just after I took these pictures too. I’m hoping you are right!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back