Can't find new fish- when should I start worrying?

Appaloosa1224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a fish home from work last night. He's a hi fin banded goby about 1.5 inches long. He has been at the store for a month or two and eats like a pig and seemed very healthy. i drip acclimated him last night for about 45 minutes and released him into the tank. He seemed fin and was not breathing heavy. He settled into a small hole towards the front of the tank. At this time i decided to feed the other fish in the tank (an ocellaris clown). He looked at the food, but did not eat any, but I did not expect him to. I looked at my clown for a few seconds and when I looked back at the new fish he was gone and I haven't seen him since. I know I'm probably worrying about nothing. It's a 34g and I'm sure a small goby could find lots of hiding spaces within the rock work. When do y'all start worrying about new additions when you can't find them?

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt be to worried anytime soon, this reminds me of a tank I set up for someone a long time ago in boston and we put a marine betta in the tank that was never seen after he was released. 3 years later we broke the tank down and found the marine betta alive and well inside a small clay jar type ornament the owner had put in there. Anyhow, give him a few days at least.

mak060

Reluctant Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt be to worried anytime soon, this reminds me of a tank I set up for someone a long time ago in boston and we put a marine betta in the tank that was never seen after he was released. 3 years later we broke the tank down and found the marine betta alive and well inside a small clay jar type ornament the owner had put in there. Anyhow, give him a few days at least.

Yes! The same thing happened to me with a marine betta. Last week I bought an Orange-Spot Goby and haven't seen him since. I agree completely with TyreeUM, the shy ones can elude till you redo the tank. It's always such a shock when after you've forgotten about them you unexpectedly see them again.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hi-fin black ray goby and only seen him about 1-2 times a month. I think they tend to be very cryptic gobies....

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its kinda fun when you have things in your tank that you only rarely see, thats why I always loved having 2 or 3 bumble bee snails in my tank

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same fish and I have not seen him since. I think he is in a burrow on the backside or crab bait.....

I would be worried when you see his skeleton on the circ pump like he was eaten by Heathcliff! I found a leopard wrasse in that condition after two days!!

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a flaming prawn goby recently. Haven't seen it since adding it to the tank and don't expect I ever will. He was smaller than advertised at about 3/8". If he didn't get eaten, the next time I'll likely see him is when I tear the tank down. Same thing happened to a guy on RC after a little over a year. He thought he had lost the fish. Moral of the story is that some of those gobies are extremely cryptic. Pairing with a Randall's shrimp helped my high fin overcome his "shyness" when I owned one.

Dave

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some fish are naturally reclusive. Had a checkerboard wrasse that I saw once in 6 months! I don't know when the thing was eating. It never came out during mealtime.

OP
OP
Appaloosa1224

Appaloosa1224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found him! He made a burrow in the back. It's so dark back there he's pretty hard to see.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back