Cant tune my vertex omega 130

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing.. Just started my reefer 170 last week. Started the vertex omega 130 2 days ago. It barely fits.. And all it does is overflow.... The sump is within range of working properly.
All it does is overflow and spew micro bubbles from the outlet. It is messing my return pump up.
I unplugged the self cleaner to drain water back into the sump.
I dont have anything but sand and rock right now.
A few questions:

Does it really take 2 weeks to marinade??
I have pvc and was going to make a stand with egg crate.
Is it too big??
I plan to have a high bioload..
I'm running carbon right now incase the epoxy for the rockwork is messing with it.
How long before I concede, sell it and get a different brand?
You definitely need to give it time. I would just leave the collection cup off and tune it so it overflows the least amount possible. Sometimes it can take more than a week. Once it's broken in and you get it tuned just right it'll do a great job.

bgallagher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sea K is right on the money.

I own this skimmer.

I originally set mine up on a new 50 gallon system with a twenty gallon sump. I had very little skim production for the first six months. It would occasionally skim like crazy then go idle for long periods of time.
I finally gave up on it and purchased an Aquamaxx CO-1 skimmer which skimmed consistently from day 1. About a year later the impeller on the Aquamaxx broke and while I was waiting for the replacement I put the Omega back in service and was absolutely shocked by the skim production. It skimmed like crazy, this time for a few weeks and then went idle once again.

I can only conclude the Omega 130 is underrated and should be used on a larger set-up to be more consistent.

From your description, it sounds like your tank is very young, smallish, and probably has very little bio load.

If you want consistent skimming go a different direction. If you stick with the 130, once you have it skimming don't fiddle with it and let it do its thing.

I find that it skims best for me when the outlet is covered in about a 1/4 " of water which I believe is at about 6.5" to 6.75" of water.

Good Luck!

LokiDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sea K is right on the money.

I own this skimmer.

I originally set mine up on a new 50 gallon system with a twenty gallon sump. I had very little skim production for the first six months. It would occasionally skim like crazy then go idle for long periods of time.
I finally gave up on it and purchased an Aquamaxx CO-1 skimmer which skimmed consistently from day 1. About a year later the impeller on the Aquamaxx broke and while I was waiting for the replacement I put the Omega back in service and was absolutely shocked by the skim production. It skimmed like crazy, this time for a few weeks and then went idle once again.

I can only conclude the Omega 130 is underrated and should be used on a larger set-up to be more consistent.

From your description, it sounds like your tank is very young, smallish, and probably has very little bio load.

If you want consistent skimming go a different direction. If you stick with the 130, once you have it skimming don't fiddle with it and let it do its thing.

I find that it skims best for me when the outlet is covered in about a 1/4 " of water which I believe is at about 6.5" to 6.75" of water.

Good Luck!
I have it T about 6.5" of water and it seems to be giving me aboit a 1/4 " of skim a day. I have no fish at all. Cycling. So I think it will pick up when I add mass.
Thanks everyone for the response.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back