Caracanthus madagascariensis diseases and treatments

awesomelysharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've had my coral croucher goby (Caracanthus m.) for a few weeks now. It is my dream fish that I built my entire nano setup around, and so far having this shy little fish is the best thing ever.
Coral crouchers are a niche fish - and niche fish don't have a lot of information on them. Anyone ever treat a species of Caracanthus for any sort of ailment? Parasites, bacterial infections, the works? I'm not particularly worried nor is my fish sick, but it's hard to find written testimonial of an actual event of sickness being properly treated in these guys. I've found plenty of information on treating Rhinopius sp and can make some decent conjecture based on that, but these are different genera (different subfamilies!) so I know there are going to be some differences in care.

cop 20230919_184842.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, I've had my coral croucher goby (Caracanthus m.) for a few weeks now. It is my dream fish that I built my entire nano setup around, and so far having this shy little fish is the best thing ever.
Coral crouchers are a niche fish - and niche fish don't have a lot of information on them. Anyone ever treat a species of Caracanthus for any sort of ailment? Parasites, bacterial infections, the works? I'm not particularly worried nor is my fish sick, but it's hard to find written testimonial of an actual event of sickness being properly treated in these guys. I've found plenty of information on treating Rhinopius sp and can make some decent conjecture based on that, but these are different genera (different subfamilies!) so I know there are going to be some differences in care.

cop 20230919_184842.jpg
This fish does best in an established tank with coral which it likes to hide within. Occasionally they make be susceptible to both ich and bladder issues. Its important to keep them well fed with mysis and brine shrimp , copepods and even LRS nano frenzy foods.

OP
OP
awesomelysharky

awesomelysharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish does best in an established tank with coral which it likes to hide within. Occasionally they make be susceptible to both ich and bladder issues. Its important to keep them well fed with mysis and brine shrimp , copepods and even LRS nano frenzy foods.
Yes, I know :) I was just looking to see if anyone has ever used medicine on them and had a succesful treatment, when needed. For example, I know that most conventional medicines like copper or methylene blue will have adverse effects on scorpionfishes and can be fatal to them. Just looking to build my library of information is all

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, I know :) I was just looking to see if anyone has ever used medicine on them and had a succesful treatment, when needed. For example, I know that most conventional medicines like copper or methylene blue will have adverse effects on scorpionfishes and can be fatal to them. Just looking to build my library of information is all
I dont recommend copper unless at 2.0 but General cure would be a safer treatment to use

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cop 20230919_184842.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've not kept this species, and I doubt that anyone has a large sample size in terms of history of medicating them. However, sensitivity to medications is pretty much always seen along taxonomic lines - so your inclination to consider them like a Rhinopias is correct.

If it is already in your nano tank, I wouldn't quarantine it at all, just get it into a stable environment and keep an eye on it, pull and treat if necessary. It will be treatable for flukes with praziquantel. I know people tend to avoid ionic copper with scorpionfish, but amine-based copper like coppersafe, dosed at 2 to 2.25 ppm is safe. I'd only do that though if you see ich spots or rapid breathing.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back