Carbon dosing disparity

tbasinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I’m just wondering why there is a huge disparity in terms of the carbon dosing protocols as seen in the zeovit system, 2mls of zeostart3 per 250 gallons and the NOPOX system 2mls per 50 liters. Thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I’m just wondering why there is a huge disparity in terms of the carbon dosing protocols as seen in the zeovit system, 2mls of zeostart3 per 250 gallons and the NOPOX system 2mls per 50 liters. Thoughts?

Different concentrations and different organics is likely one part of it, but I have seen that many of the early organic carbon dosing schemes were very conservative, with very low starting doses and a slow ramp up.

Regardless of the reasons, all of these methods should be adjusted to fit the needs of your tank, whether that means a high dose or a low dose.

OP
OP
T

tbasinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be noted that my dumb self thought they would be roughly equivalent and have been dosing 2mls per 100L of the Zeostart with no apparent negative effects after months of doing so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be noted that my dumb self thought they would be roughly equivalent and have been dosing 2mls per 100L of the Zeostart with no apparent negative effects after months of doing so.

The disparity in potency is exemplified by a comparison of vodka (40% organic by weight) and vinegar (5% organic by weight). There's no reason a manufacturer making their own needs to match any particular weight fraction organic.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back