Carbon media for toxic warfare/water clarity but do not want to strip PO4.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a beloved toadstool in my tank with SPS and LPS coral. I also have some Zoas. I like the idea of running some carbon simply as a preventative if/when coral warfare happens (perhaps after fragging).

However, reading about the most popular carbon - ROX 0.8 - it seems like this is meant for a media reactor, and is also used to control phosphates. My phosphates stay between 0.04-0.08 so I do not want carbon that will strip them out.

Chemi-pure Blue also seems to remove PO4.

Has anyone tried Polyp Lab's version?

I would be using this in a media slot with fairly low flow.

Any other recommendations?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea or Nyos carbon work great. If you don't have a reactor try to place them in a high-flow area, ie: under filter socks, etc.

And yes, ChemiPure Blue does have some limited phosphate removal capacity - so you want straight carbon.

Last edited:

ReeferSpot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a beloved toadstool in my tank with SPS and LPS coral. I also have some Zoas. I like the idea of running some carbon simply as a preventative if/when coral warfare happens (perhaps after fragging).

However, reading about the most popular carbon - ROX 0.8 - it seems like this is meant for a media reactor, and is also used to control phosphates. My phosphates stay between 0.04-0.08 so I do not want carbon that will strip them out.

Carbon doesn't remove phosphate. I think you are referring to GFO. Carbon is what you want to run to prevent coral warfare.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a small brs mini reactor for like 40 bucks and put a small pump on it. GAC is what you want as stated above

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BRS carbon is what I'd recommend.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MARINELAND MAGNUM POLISHING.jpg
Drop this in the sump with GAC and problem solved. Can also be used with DE to micro polish the water for those show off dinner parties. Simple enough to run as many as can fit without messing with extra plumbing. Aim the nozzle to keep detritus suspended or can even be used to spin chaeto, if needed. Depending on carbon size, might fit the provided container or just place in a finer carbon sock.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop this in the sump with GAC and problem solved. Can also be used with DE to micro polish the water for those show off dinner parties. Simple enough to run as many as can fit without messing with extra plumbing. Aim the nozzle to keep detritus suspended or can even be used to spin chaeto, if needed. Depending on carbon size, might fit the provided container or just place in a finer carbon sock.
I looked into that corner pump a few months ago and wow they be expensive... Nvm edit: it was around $200 CAD when I was looking I'd rather dump some carbon into a bag and place it where there's some flow and Bob's your uncle and extra cash in the pocket.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into that corner pump a few months ago and wow they be expensive... I'd rather dump some carbon into a bag and place it where there's some flow and Bob's your uncle and extra cash in the pocket.
Unless under restricted flow such as a reactor or canister the carbon won't be as effective at quickly removing toxins. Water takes the path of least resistance and bag in the corner will have most of it traveling around vs through it. Plus these can probably be found cheaper elsewhere. I paid under $60 but has since sky rocketed.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon itself does NOT remove phosphates.

If a company (ChemiPure) adds GFO to their carbon, then the GFO will bind some. They sell plain activated carbon too.

Just buy plain activated carbon (BRS ROX 0.8 is the best IMO).

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those marineland polishing units... We could just buy the casing and filter and pop it into a powerhead for a few bucks in the day lol.. that could be a good tool though.

OP
OP
Lebowski_

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an AIO 25 lagoon, so a reactor won't work in this case. There is a rack with media compartments. Just going to go with some inexpensive Polyp Lab GAC in a mesh bag. Not sure how useful it will be but it's inexpensive way to get a little peace of mind.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 132 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back