"caution" when fragging i was wondering What to do incase a zoa fragment strikes your eye?

wingman1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently one of my friends was fragging a zoa colony and a piece some how hit his eye. (if you ask where the safety glasses were they were sitting next to him on the table). he immediately flushed out his eye and went on with his day. it was still burning and continuously getting worse. by the following morning a little over 12 hours later his eye was almost completely shut, blurred vision and entirely blood red. he finally called the eye doctor, surprisingly very few doctors have ever had experience with zoa toxins, or even have heard of something like this let alone know what to do. thankfully after two days his eye started getting better and finally after a week came somewhat back to normal. i just want to state and warn fellow reefers on how important it is to wear some protection and properly wash your hands after handling zoa. i finally got some answers after making some phone calls. there have been many cases where people have either lost their eye sight or have completely lost their eye due to an incident exactly like this. there is no true method of treating an incident like this except with possible steroid and hormone treatment because we do not really know much about the toxin (stated form one of the best optometrist in the usa).

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post. Zoas have a nasty toxin. One of the worst out there per a gram. There was a guy that was controlling zoa population , had a rock of zoas under steaming hot water brushing the rock. He had on gloves and eye glasses. But not a respirator, he breathed in the toxin. Nasty stuff.

Edds Coral Cave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they contain palytoxins. it only takes 1g to kill up to 80 adult humans.

it is very rare but it has happened. the post above mentions a guy, he actually died.

always wear suitable eye protection and gloves if you have any open cuts or scratches on hands just in case.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back