Change- what change do we hope to see?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As 2024 is underway, what change in the industry do you hope to see occur this coming year?

We already know pricing is on top of the list but as an example, i hope to see more trade and swap show shows as well as plumbing kits (kits that containing piping, unions and valves) to prevent mismatched components and are designed for easy connect and disconnect for maintenance and moving

I also hope to see legislation ease up on rules and bans currently in place or consideration.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a T5 diehard but I am finding it very hard to just find regular aquarium fixtures like coralife and others used to make.
I wish companies would offer these again for beginning reefers and us old guys alike who don't want LEDS or maybe for those of us who'd like to replace older fixtures.
Sure they offer a T5 hybrid fixture or an ATI super fixture but if you don't need all of that there's not much left except going to home depot.
Nothing wrong with that but I always liked just opening the box and setting it on the tank. No hangers, no modifications just good to go plug and play.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the industry getting back to basics and making things simple and reliable. Whatever happened to the days of just using a simple on /off switch.
Yes. I don't need programmable digital controllers with flimsy touch pads that turn on the unit.

I still use pin type light timers for many applications.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want an app for that. I also prefer printed instructions.
I went to buy a heater today for my top off water (never had to do that before. Cold up here. ) and I saw a sicce app controlled heater called no touch I think
Holy crikies I thought I can't even get a heater I can turn on myself.
How am I going to figure that out I can't even do a digital timer for God's sake.
I went with a cheap aqueon instead.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to buy a heater today for my top off water (never had to do that before. Cold up here. ) and I saw a sicce app controlled heater called no touch I think
Holy crikies I thought I can't even get a heater I can turn on myself.
How am I going to figure that out I can't even do a digital timer for God's sake.
I went with a cheap aqueon instead.
I prefer retro reefing!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see higher fish/coral prices , more coral and fish bans, more blue LED lighting, more disposable equipment meaning anything that can be repaired should be banned, higher electricity rates and 4,973 threads on why my lights are the best.

If I keep my hopes low so I won’t be disappointed

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That LFS stop purchasing and reselling those corals inverts and fish which don’t last long in captivity, say under 6 months.

Alternatively, post clearly to the buyer that same information.

They know which ones.
I feel you as a teacher,reefer and environmentalists. The thing is those corals that give most reefers fits, some people have thriving in their reefs for decades. This is a good thread topic to revisit.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Less top tier equipment and more equipment that people can easily afford.
That was a thing with trade shows. You went to a pet show or RAP and they had information on what you are buying and why and now, its about the benefits you get despite the high cost and " why you should buy it"

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'd like to see them go back to educating instead of selling.

Same. I've been looking for alternative sources for equipment, supplements, etc. I had an admittedly small issue recently that I didn't even have high expectations for, but the response that I eventually received was off putting. I feel like had something similar happened a few years ago, they would have been more inclined to at least help point me in the right direction to get my issue resolved. Now they're too big and have too much of a corporate feel to me.

I consider myself a casual hobbyist but the reality is that I spend a few thousand per year on reefing (at least). I know they won't miss my money, but I intend to spend it with smaller outfits in 2024 whenever I can. Even if I have to spend a few more dollars for the same thing (which hasn't happened yet, ironically) elsewhere.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back