Changing Sump Baffle Height After Silicone and Water

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

So I built my own sump out of a 20 gallon. It only has 2 chambers with baffles between to cut down on the bubbles.

I cut both of the baffle pieces, entrance and exit, at the same height not realizing the exit was suppose to be slightly shorter. I want to lower the second baffle by about 1in but the issue is the tank is up and running and the glass baffles are silicone in already. Is there any way that I can shorten the baffle without cutting out all of the silicone?

1711986114721.png

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would leave the pump baffle as is and adjust the skimmer baffle.
Much easier to get a piece of glass or acrylic to increase the height of the first baffle than totally draining the pump chamber, tear out the baffle and silicone in a shorter one.
Couple options:
1) Get a piece of glass or acrylic about 3" wide and silicone it to the skimmer baffle for your extra 1".
Need to let silicone dry a couple days but much easier than tearing out the old pump baffle.
2) 3" wide and 4 guide pads 1/4" acrylic would work.
Quickest way to be up and running. If want to get up and running the quickest a piece could just be clamped to the first baffle.
If it were me I would get as 4-5" piece of acrylic and some strips to make a sliding baffle.
Clean glass, silicone on guide pieces above water line and after it dries a few days slide in the adjustable piece.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would leave the pump baffle as is and adjust the skimmer baffle.
Much easier to get a piece of glass or acrylic to increase the height of the first baffle than totally draining the pump chamber, tear out the baffle and silicone in a shorter one.
Couple options:
1) Get a piece of glass or acrylic about 3" wide and silicone it to the skimmer baffle for your extra 1".
Need to let silicone dry a couple days but much easier than tearing out the old pump baffle.
2) 3" wide and 4 guide pads 1/4" acrylic would work.
Quickest way to be up and running. If want to get up and running the quickest a piece could just be clamped to the first baffle.
If it were me I would get as 4-5" piece of acrylic and some strips to make a sliding baffle.
Clean glass, silicone on guide pieces above water line and after it dries a few days slide in the adjustable piece.
Tried to edit but it expired.

I would leave the pump baffle as is and adjust the skimmer baffle. Easier to add a 3” piece of glass or acrylic to increase the height of the first baffle than totally tearing out the pump baffle and silicone in a shorter one.

Few options:
1) Silicone a 3” wide piece of glass or acrylic 2” below the top of the skimmer baffle for your 1” difference.
Let silicone dry a couple days before getting wet but much easier than tearing out the old pump baffle.

2) 3" adjustable piece, 2-4 guide pads, 2 long and 2 optional short which can be 1/4" acrylic.
Silicone 2-4 pads to side of sump for guild slot. Align longer pad to put pressure on 3” piece against the baffle.
Only silicone above waterline unless you want to shut down for a few days for silicone to dry.
Depending on baffle silicone work, clean up with a razor blade to allow adjustable piece to slide.
After silicone dries, slide in the adjustable baffle extension to desired height.

3) Piece of glass or acrylic and some water proof magnets. Even a cheap plastic clamp.
Fastest and you have an adjustable baffle.
1711996935870.png

OP
OP
C

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to edit but it expired.

I would leave the pump baffle as is and adjust the skimmer baffle. Easier to add a 3” piece of glass or acrylic to increase the height of the first baffle than totally tearing out the pump baffle and silicone in a shorter one.

Few options:
1) Silicone a 3” wide piece of glass or acrylic 2” below the top of the skimmer baffle for your 1” difference.
Let silicone dry a couple days before getting wet but much easier than tearing out the old pump baffle.

2) 3" adjustable piece, 2-4 guide pads, 2 long and 2 optional short which can be 1/4" acrylic.
Silicone 2-4 pads to side of sump for guild slot. Align longer pad to put pressure on 3” piece against the baffle.
Only silicone above waterline unless you want to shut down for a few days for silicone to dry.
Depending on baffle silicone work, clean up with a razor blade to allow adjustable piece to slide.
After silicone dries, slide in the adjustable baffle extension to desired height.

3) Piece of glass or acrylic and some water proof magnets. Even a cheap plastic clamp.
Fastest and you have an adjustable baffle.
1711996935870.png
Thank you! I never would have even thought about just making the skimmer baffle taller... you're right that's a much easier fix than trying to remove and cut the pump baffle. Thanks again!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back