Chasing Those Numbers!

I_E_85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alight! So, I am three months into having my BioCube 32 running. I have only stocked four fish so far (slow and steady wins the race, right?) and of course there is my CUC which I have had since the ugly stage started to show it's self. Tests reveal that the nitrogen cycle is healthy. Those numbers are not my worry. However, I can't seem to get off this KH rollercoaster. For a few days the KH, calcium, and magnesium settled where I wanted them. With that, I started into dosing All for Reef based on my calculated consumption. I can't imagine what is consuming it as it was all dry rock that I used and there is no coral, yet. I test with kits from RedSea. Todays results are attached as a screenshot from an app.

I know that chasing numbers is not the way and learned this with planted tanks. However I never have had such a bear of a time getting consistent numbers in a freshwater setup. My end-game is to keep soft corals only, perform 10% water changes weekly, keep using homemade DODI water mixed with Instant Ocean (regular), and keep the most basic of livestock in the way of water parameters. The internet is a scary place when hunting down information. If you are in my situation, what works for you? Am I on that treadmill of number chasing without knowing it? I read that the BioCube, when used the same fashion which I am using it, only needs those water changes and the rest is fluff. But I have reservations with the KH being all over the chart.

Sincerely, the utterly confused.

IMG_2263.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking, and I get the impression that soft corals are not overly demanding of any kind of dosing.
Honestly. Just do regular water changes. They will be fine. Use good quality salt mix.

Back