Chiller smoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chiller that I had turned off for 2 months, it turns out that I tried something on the inkbird thermostat which connects to the pump and the chiller at the same time, as a result both turned on, but when I turned on the chiller it started to smoke a little on the green switch, I mean, it only got power, it didn't even turn on the compressor because the temperature is not hot.
20240108_010351.jpg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electronic smoke is no bueno. You sure it was the switch? Not sure how savy with electrical componants you are ,but were it mine i would unplug it, pull those connectors off of the switch and look for charing there. If it has smoked something definitely needs replaced. The wires look good and it is likely the rocker switch burned up. That is relatively common for them to need to be replaced. If its just the switch, replace it and test it and if it burns up again, you likely have a short. The fan motor or ac compressor would be the next likely component to investigate, but make sure you find out the root cause of the smoke before returning it to service.

OP
OP
K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electronic smoke is no bueno. You sure it was the switch? Not sure how savy with electrical componants you are ,but were it mine i would unplug it, pull those connectors off of the switch and look for charing there. If it has smoked something definitely needs replaced. The wires look good and it is likely the rocker switch burned up. That is relatively common for them to need to be replaced. If its just the switch, replace it and test it and if it burns up again, you likely have a short. The fan motor or ac compressor would be the next likely component to investigate, but make sure you find out the root cause of the smoke before returning it to service.
I was in charge of doing tests so I looked for the root and the smoke came out of that switch, I mean it only did it twice, on the third try it was no longer smoking.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in charge of doing tests so I looked for the root and the smoke came out of that switch, I mean it only did it twice, on the third try it was no longer smoking.
Make sure it is disconnected and pull the switch out. Likely the conacts are burned. Make sure to check it out. It could have been an insect or something, but if you operate that unit with a burned up switch, it may reduce the current that can flow through the switch increasing the likelihood of component failure or fire.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good bit of moisture/salt creep. The switch is lighted, meaning it has a neutral and hot going to it. The smoke is either due to resistance in the contacts (corrosion) or a partial short (arc tracing) from the salt creep. Either way, I would replace the switch, or find a way to dismantle it and clean it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back