Chloroquin phosphate

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to doubt myself on my 10 day treatment recommendation. It's good to know that the pharmacy company says the same thing. Also, my years and years of studying bacteria and protozoans and such. One thing I will point out is when we, as humans, have a bacterial infection the recommended dose of antibiotics is usually for 10 - 14 days.

The 10-14 day rule is appropriate for bacteria and many protozoans that have a direct life cycle (i.e. simple cell division). The challenge with applying that assumption to Cryptocaryon irritans is that the organism has a complex life cycle with multiple stages. CP only targets one of those stages -- the theront stage. Given that tomont excystment is highly variable -- anywhere from 3 to 72 days -- it's a risk to only treat for 10-14 days, as the likelihood that all theronts have excysted can be potentially low. It is for this reason that I prefer TTM to every other treatment for Cryptocaryon, since it targets the stage with the least amount of variability (3-7 days), and there is very little guesswork provided the aquarist executes the protocol correctly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back