CHRISTMAS TREE WORM BABY!?!?

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so a couple months ago I got a Christmas tree worm rock from a friend who was tearing down. Had three beautiful big worms in it. Actually a few weeks ago I has some die off on the porites from an alk dip while I was away. Then tonight I'm checking up and notice something on the bottom. It looks like another worm, well there is an aptasia next to it, doenst look like one but maybe. I moved my tongs around it and it retracted right into the coral. It's undeniably a fourth worm. I have never seen this one before, it's so small I doubt you can see it in the photo.
I'm flabbergasted, I was under the impression reproduction in captivity was impossible. I mean this is 100% a worm I've never seen and it's facing the glass I would have seen it before and it's so small!?!?
Experts???

(bonus photo of one of my Chromis photo bombing me!!!)

20231120_174909.jpg 20231120_174901.jpg

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get some pics under whiter light? The pic is a bit too washed out by the blue.
Even got one of it retracted. Tried getting a video but it was already fully out

Attachments

• 20231120_180214.jpg
    20231120_180214.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20231120_180229.jpg
    20231120_180229.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20231120_180246.mp4
    19.3 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even got one of it retracted. Tried getting a video but it was already fully out
I can see the worm in question, but not well enough to tell if it's another Christmas Tree Worm or not. I don't know if you can get a closer-up, clearer pic or not, but it may be helpful if you can.

Regardless, given what we know of Christmas Tree Worm reproduction at the moment, the odds a baby popping up in your tank are astronomically low (probably about the same as the odds of winning the lottery); it's not impossible, just extremely unlikely. I'd guess it's more likely that either 1 - the worm was already there, just in a different spot and changed its location, 2 - the worm was already there and just recovering from an injury, or 3 - it's a hitchhiking feather duster worm of some variety that happened to pop up in your Christmas Tree Worm rock.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the worm in question, but not well enough to tell if it's another Christmas Tree Worm or not. I don't know if you can get a closer-up, clearer pic or not, but it may be helpful if you can.

Regardless, given what we know of Christmas Tree Worm reproduction at the moment, the odds a baby popping up in your tank are astronomically low (probably about the same as the odds of winning the lottery); it's not impossible, just extremely unlikely. I'd guess it's more likely that either 1 - the worm was already there, just in a different spot and changed its location, 2 - the worm was already there and just recovering from an injury, or 3 - it's a hitchhiking feather duster worm of some variety that happened to pop up in your Christmas Tree Worm rock.
Alright, yeah I thought it was impossible. I cannot get a closer photo without taking it out. Comparing it to the worms I'm extremely certain it is one. Can they move? I never knew that, that would explain it. Also very possible it was recovering and hiding, I'd still be shocked it lasted months hiding but I've seen weirder. Still if they can move that could be likely. The size just really shocks me.

Thank you for the imput! I'll have to keep a closer eye on these guys and see how it goes.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they prefer to be sessile, but they can move - they actually bore through the corals, so if one wanted to for some reason, it could just bore another exit through the coral.
Oh interesting! Yeah could be possible too. Interesting, still an odd event overall.
Be neat if it was breeding but even if it was I doubt it would ever happen again, but I am thinking it's the moving around, that makes the most sense to me.

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this post but yeah, they very rarely reproduce and are especially unlikely to right after a move. The rock of them in my profile pic reproduced and I had a few babies on it over the years, so it definitely isn't impossible. I work on research teams down in the Keys and I have seen them grow on our cinderblocks within a 6-month time frame. Now granted, it's the ocean and not a tank but they will choose other places to bore into too.

EmmaPark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
제 생각엔 베이비웜이 맞아요. 크리스마스트리 웜은 24시간 내에 유생으로 정착합니다. 스키머와 양말필터로인해 걸러지지만 않는다면 수조 내에서 꽤 쉽게 정착할것입니다.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back