Cinnamon clown with spots during copper treatment

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW what’s a better copper calc the Fishotel or Calconic? The issue I’m seeing with Calconic is that it goes down often. Like I just checked it and its down again lol

Manual :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So would Seachem Kanaplex help with healing the torn fins on the fish?
Yes. Good water quality will work But kanaplex will prevent any continued fin ray issue if any

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not use antibiotics unless there is an active infection - and - with or without antibiotics, if the issue is fish nipping them, it will not help. I'm a fan of both neomycin and kanamycin - however, there also can be significant side effects that to me suggest being careful to only treat a problem, as compared to prevention. Second - I don't know BRS or other sites recommendations - so I can't comment on whether the advice is good or bad. We tend to recommend our protocol - since it makes things consistent. What can become difficult is when people are using combinations of 2 protocols, etc. Again - not criticizing other methods.

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use antibiotics unless there is an active infection - and - with or without antibiotics, if the issue is fish nipping them, it will not help. I'm a fan of both neomycin and kanamycin - however, there also can be significant side effects that to me suggest being careful to only treat a problem, as compared to prevention. Second - I don't know BRS or other sites recommendations - so I can't comment on whether the advice is good or bad. We tend to recommend our protocol - since it makes things consistent. What can become difficult is when people are using combinations of 2 protocols, etc. Again - not criticizing other methods.
Thank you for your input. I agree with what you’re saying

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking again at the fish and it doesn’t really look like spot more elongated and coming out of the body. I saw looking at a post from humble fish and it look more like Bacterial Tufts & Viral Nodules. I took out my mirrorless camera and put my 100mm macro and took some higher quality photos. I just attached them maybe it will help with verifying the issue because it’s weird to me that 32 days in copper now and it’s the only fish in the tank that’s covered like this. He’s swimming, eating and is very active chasing my wrasse

Attachments

• 089A5162.jpeg
    089A5162.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 089A5170.jpeg
    089A5170.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 089A5169.jpeg
    089A5169.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 089A5168.jpeg
    089A5168.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 089A5167.jpeg
    089A5167.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 089A5165.jpeg
    089A5165.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very very similar to this

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
f
I was looking again at the fish and it doesn’t really look like spot more elongated and coming out of the body. I saw looking at a post from humble fish and it look more like Bacterial Tufts & Viral Nodules. I took out my mirrorless camera and put my 100mm macro and took some higher quality photos. I just attached them maybe it will help with verifying the issue because it’s weird to me that 32 days in copper now and it’s the only fish in the tank that’s covered like this. He’s swimming, eating and is very active chasing my wrasse
You didn't really ask a question explicitly - but I think you're wondering about how to tell the difference between Tufts and an active CI infection? If so - tufts stay the same over days - Ich does not - spots come and go. Ich I s associated with tufts as well .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry - I just saw you posted a video. will check it out

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f

You didn't really ask a question explicitly - but I think you're wondering about how to tell the difference between Tufts and an active CI infection? If so - tufts stay the same over days - Ich does not - spots come and go. Ich I s associated with tufts as well .
It’s been 3 days not and doesn’t look like anything has really dropped off of the fish. I just checked the copper this morning and it’s still at 2.4ppm

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks - this is an interesting link. I think Ich is the problem with the clown

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is ich and the second cinnamon this week. You will have to isolate fish and based on coverage other fish within tank them also in treatment setting and apply coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.2-2.5 with added aeration. Monitor copper level with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand and also ammonia levels also with a reliable kit.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Bacterial tufts which im familair with are often congregated to one area. This is ich and as seen is widespread

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are actually misnamed in that post - they are not caused by a virus, and there is no bacteria associated with them other than what is commonly found in the aquarium water. What they are seeing are just mucus plugs/cones. Most commonly seen in tangs, I can't remember the last time I saw them on a clownfish. The big issue is that one very common cause for these is ich. The ich trophont causes the fish's skin to produce excess mucus. I would be very surprised if these turned out to be idiopathic mucus plugs (that is, sterile plugs that just show up for no apparent reason).

Jay

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is ich and the second cinnamon this week. You will have to isolate fish and based on coverage other fish within tank them also in treatment setting and apply coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.2-2.5 with added aeration. Monitor copper level with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand and also ammonia levels also with a reliable kit.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I think you’re thinking about my OP from a few days ago. The fish had been in copper already for 33 days in a QT tank using copper power at 2.3-2.45 PPM measured with a Hanna copper checker every other day and the numbers have been consistent. The display tank has been taken apart and broken down since the last week of January I’m setting up a new tank with all new sand, rock and everything that’s being reused was socked is bleach. I agree it might be ich but I just don’t know how it’s possible that it gets reinfected with Ich?

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are actually misnamed in that post - they are not caused by a virus, and there is no bacteria associated with them other than what is commonly found in the aquarium water. What they are seeing are just mucus plugs/cones. Most commonly seen in tangs, I can't remember the last time I saw them on a clownfish. The big issue is that one very common cause for these is ich. The ich trophont causes the fish's skin to produce excess mucus. I would be very surprised if these turned out to be idiopathic mucus plugs (that is, sterile plugs that just show up for no apparent reason).

Jay
From my understanding is that Ich can’t reinfect in copper. all my fish have been in a QT with copper power above therapeutic of 2.3-2.45 PPM since January 31 so over 30 days already. I check with a Hanna copper checker every other day and copper has been stable and the results have been consistent within 0.05 between tests. Every time my fish has had ich in the past I just saw salt like dots on the body. These are not just dots they look like they have a tail a bit elongated or like a comma.

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are elongated and protruding out of the body. I zoomed in more to give a better perspective. they’re not just dots they look like cones or like a comma. Since they’ve been in copper power for over 30 days above 2.3-2.45 checked with a Hanna copper checker every other day. None of the other fish in the tank show any signs or spots. Would you still consider this ich?

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• IMG_2042.png
    IMG_2042.png
    939.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2043.png
    IMG_2043.png
    867.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2044.png
    IMG_2044.png
    794 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2045.png
    IMG_2045.png
    906.5 KB · Views: 16

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The spots are elongated and protruding out of the body. I zoomed in more to give a better perspective. they’re not just dots they look like cones or like a comma. Since they’ve been in copper power for over 30 days above 2.3-2.45 checked with a Hanna copper checker every other day. None of the other fish in the tank show any signs or spots. Would you still consider this ich?

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
That is correct. These are mucus cones which contain ich and treatment mentioned needs to be continued to offer best chance of eradication. Assure water quality is good as skin irritation will support these mucus cones

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back