Cleaning near a fish tank

idkreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface by saying that I know nothing about fish tanks. I would like to clean my floors near a saltwater fish tank. My husband seems to think it will kill all the corals in his tank if I use any amount of chemicals on the floors, near his tank. To further elaborate, he has a 210g (possibly larger) fish tank, that has a very elaborate filtration system and setup. From the floor to the top of the fish tank is about 5.5’, the sump/cabinet, being about 3’ from the floor.

Would it be bad for the fish tank to mop the floor near it with a mild cleaning solution? We have tile floors.

I open the back porch door for ventilation, where the fish tank is directly next to. Then I sweep the floors of all the debris and go over the floors with hot water a couple of times. Afterwards, I put about two tablespoons full of Mr. Clean multipurpose cleaning solution in about 3 gallons of water. Mop with it once. Then I go back over with hot water only 3-4 times until the floor feels squeaky clean, making sure to remove all residue. It’s a long and arduous process to say the least.

Is there a risk to the fish tank? Btw, I hate cleaning. Don’t know many people who love it, except the satisfaction after, so it takes quite a bit out of me. Feeling pretty unmotivated and under appreciated right now.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have luxury vinyl plank in the whole house. We use a Bona hardwood floor mop and use a solution of Mr.clean multi floor cleaner and water everyday to clean the floors. (We have two Boxers and they can get the floor pretty dirty! Lol) The mop sprays the solution out on to the floor. Clean the floor Infront and sides of the reef tank.

Never caused any issue with the tank, ever.

DSC_0176.JPG

You should be perfectly fine cleaning the floor with it! Flipper approved! Lol

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t that serious, regardless of what the r2r mob says. Don’t pour or spray the stuff in the tank and it will be fine. Clean away!

some people just think wayyyy too much in this stuff as they think it crashed their tank when it was something else. Humans have to blame something for everything.

Megan scented candles, people freak out over them. I burn em all the time and I’ve never had issues in the past decade.

so ya, don’t live in a nasty dirty house, that’s just gross.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your support everyone! I was feeling pretty down, but your responses have been very encouraging. ;Cat

The biggest issue and thing to watch out for is not to aerosolize whatever solution you are working with. As long as whatever you are using does not get airborne it should have very little ability to get into the tank.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue and thing to watch out for is not to aerosolize whatever solution you are working with. As long as whatever you are using does not get airborne it should have very little ability to get into the tank.

Lol, prime example right here of what NOT to worry about.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, prime example right here of what NOT to worry about.

I mean, you can be all angsty about it if you want thats fine, you do you. I didnt even really contradict your opinions above. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But the fact of the matter still remains: mop your floor with a quaternary ammonium or chlorine solution all day every day and nothing will happen. Spray a quat or chlorine solution and with adequate surface area, such as the ~.5m2 of my aquarium and you could very well have detectable levels of things you would not want in your water column (sporicidals, bactericidals, virucidals, fungicidals) . The substance and the concentration obviously matter, but just because you havent seen any negative effects from your experiences, doesnt make what I said any less true.

OP
OP
I

idkreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vinegar and water when I clean the tile floor around the tank. I avoid bleach but also because I have a parrot in the same room.
I wanted to use something with a little soap because it hadn’t been cleaned in like forever. I pour a small amount into a large bucket of water. According to the back of Mr. Clean multipurpose, it has no phosphate, bleach, or ammonia. Its consistency is very watery. It even says in the directions you don’t need to mop it back up, although I can’t imagine ever doing that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

idkreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was his primary concern. However, I was thinking the tiny amount I used and the method and measure of care I took would not cause issues. Of course, he disagreed, and the great cleaning debate ensued.

His final threat was that if anything dies in the next few days, it’s my fault. That seems unfair though as things can die for no reason, especially things as sensitive as fish and corals. I wish someone would argue to clean for me.
giphy.gif

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was his primary concern. However, I was thinking the tiny amount I used and the method and measure of care I took would not cause issues. Of course, he disagreed, and the great cleaning debate ensued.

His final threat was that if anything dies in the next few days, it’s my fault. That seems unfair though as things can die for no reason, especially things as sensitive as fish and corals. I wish someone would argue to clean for me.
giphy.gif

You'll probably have an easier time changing your method than changing his mind. Use one/some of these instead:

• vinegar
  • baking soda
  • vodka
  • critic acid
All of those are completely safe even if dumped into the water (within reason obviously). People intentionally put the first 3 in their tanks for various reasons and #4 is the best way to clean pumps and other equipment so its also considered safe.

OP
OP
I

idkreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...a coral died. :oops: Of course, my husband says it’s my fault. However, that coral wasn’t looking too healthy. He had recently fragged off quite a bit of it to give to a friend. Can fragging kill a coral? Did my mopping really kill it?

Either case, guess my mopping days are over because my husband is feeling awfully smug that he proved his point, although he’s not happy about the coral. He gained a greater victory, proving me wrong. ;Shifty

Why did you have to die coral? Why?? ;Sorry Anyway, he plans to get it back from the friend he fragged it out to once he grows it out more, though he’ll have to wait awhile.

OP
OP
I

idkreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably have an easier time changing your method than changing his mind. Use one/some of these instead:

• vinegar
  • baking soda
  • vodka
  • critic acid
All of those are completely safe even if dumped into the water (within reason obviously). People intentionally put the first 3 in their tanks for various reasons and #4 is the best way to clean pumps and other equipment so its also considered safe.

I may look into citric acid. Thank you!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...a coral died. :oops: Of course, my husband says it’s my fault. However, that coral wasn’t looking too healthy. He had recently fragged off quite a bit of it to give to a friend. Can fragging kill a coral? Did my mopping really kill it?

Either case, guess my mopping days are over because my husband is feeling awfully smug that he proved his point, although he’s not happy about the coral. He gained a greater victory, proving me wrong. ;Shifty

Why did you have to die coral? Why?? ;Sorry Anyway, he plans to get it back from the friend he fragged it out to once he grows it out more, though he’ll have to wait awhile.
Yes. Fragging can kill a coral. If done incorrectly the coral could get an infection, and die pretty quickly. That is why most wil immediately dip their corals after fragging to decrease the likelihood of the coral getting an infection from essentially being cut in two. Or more.

Even then, dipping would only lessen the chance of infection, and a very sensitive coral could still wind up getting an infection and dying anyway.

What type of coral was it?

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the dead coral look like? If it died from your cleaning it died very very very quickly. Not saying its impossible but...is the coral really dead?

Also, honestly, why isn't your husband cleaning the room that the tank is in? If he's that concerned it seems like the simplest thing is to divide up the cleaning? I hope he's not just trying to find ways to win "points" over you because that doesn't sound very respectful.

Back