Clearer Water

Uram05med

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try carbon or chem pure plus but I also like to put water polishing fiber or really a piece of cloth made by deep blue above my filter sock to skim the particles before it gets into the sock really clears up the tank. If you take that same cloth to a local fabric store they can match it up so you can get a whole roll for the same price as the small piece you will buy from deep blue. If you want to spend a little more money buy a carbon reactor and use the cloth, your water should look great. Frequent water changes always help as well.

tmg1286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although all of the recommendations you've received thus far are doable, I've found out the hard-way, before you implement and changes it's best to try to determine what is causing the cloudy water? Bacterial bloom i.e. mini-cycle (happened to me). If so, it'll clear up by itself.

Over-feeding? Substrate (fine sand particles blowing around, etc......).

There are many things that could contribute/causes cloudy water.

The one paramount rule to Reefkeeping is "stop.......go slow......cause' nothing good ever happens fast in reef tank."

By the way, once I overcame my issue ie bacterial bloom, I have had zero problems. I also have used (this is my 3rd reef tank over the course of 20 years off and off) ChemiPure. I wouldn't run a reef without it. My water, routine maintenance and weekly water changes aside, is crystal clear.

sager1966

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....just stuff the filter sock with pillow stuffing ?? How far in the sock ?

Ok so I have went and tried the pillow stuffing.. And I'm here to say that the results are way better than what I expected.. Just in a few hours my water was crystal clear.. Even the algae growth on my glass has reduced drastically.. And I thank everyone for the advise here.. Pillow stuffing worked for me.

OP
OP
Waffo

Waffo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try that.. But all I did was put a little rack of egg crate were my outlets release the water to my sump and fill it with stuffing and that's it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back