CLOSED LOOP FILTER FOR CUSTOM 500g TANK

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, building custom 500 g TALL cube tank, with remote fish room. 44" x 44" x 72" tall.

NO gravity overflow, pressurized lines, filter will be remote in garage 30+ feet away. Protein skimmer planned in attic.

Planning to use Closed Loop bead filter, and aquaculture pump to handle primary filtration. System will be under pressure, so as to avoid the need to balance overflow and return from so far away.

Anyone done something like this, or have comments? Ball valves to control flow on suction and return, waste lines for emergency overflow, electronic flow meters and RO at water source. See below:
one-line-drawing-aquarium-v.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, but I think that's asking a lot from a single pump. I have questions about head pressure (skimmer in attic) as well as how you plan on the skimmer making bubbles if it's being powered by a remote pump. Of course, I could be missing something in the drawing.
I'd also be concerned about getting flow dialed in past the chiller and heater areas, then to the skimmer and tank. Are you planning on having any wavemakers in the DT to supplement water movement?

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, but I think that's asking a lot from a single pump. I have questions about head pressure (skimmer in attic) as well as how you plan on the skimmer making bubbles if it's being powered by a remote pump. Of course, I could be missing something in the drawing.
I'd also be concerned about getting flow dialed in past the chiller and heater areas, then to the skimmer and tank. Are you planning on having any wavemakers in the DT to supplement water movement?

It's a pretty beefy pump, my goal was to provide 10x + turnover rate of the display tank (DT), est 6000 GPH. The tank is almost 500 gallons.

1684287127128.png

The pump will fill the sump, and the bubbles will be made by the mini pump in the protein skimmer, and gravity drain back into the DT.

Since it's closed loop suction and return should be balanced. Use ball valves to adjust suction at skimmer box and deeper in the tank.

Wasn't planning wave makers, since the flow is relatively high. Maybe sprayer bar at the top for oxygenation.

Am I missing anything crucial for flow / filter / life support?
aquarium filter setup.jpg

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not going to comment on the filtration setup other than how do you plan on regular maintenance on your skimmer? Is this a finished attic with easy access? Is it a climate controlled space?

I would be more concerned with running highly pressurized saltwater that close to your main breaker panel. This would be a big no no here.

When we built our house plumber had to move the washer drain line and an ac condensate drain line because it ran under the main panel and inspector would not pass it. Your running a high pressure pump just a couple feet from it.:oops:

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Comments @T-J, I'm getting closer to getting this live.

"how you plan on the skimmer making bubbles if it's being powered by a remote pump"

There will be a manifold in the attic, with adjustable vales, there will be a run from the manifold to the sump in the attic, which will be set to the desired flow through the sump. The skimmer will sit in the sump and use the internal pump for bubbles. It will gravity drain via a bulkhead drilled into the side of the sump, back into the tank.

"I'd also be concerned about getting flow dialed in past the chiller and heater areas, then to the skimmer and tank. Are you planning on having any wavemakers in the DT to supplement water movement?"

I think this is a good point, maybe a closed loop, separate system for more DT water movement? Glass is almost 2" think and all sides visible, so I think it would need to be a pump in attic moving water, suggestions here?

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. Very professional.
Heaters and cooling is in-line?
Thank you, yes both inline. Got them from a Company that does marine exhibits.

Heater is 220v, and Chiller is 115v. Manufacturer said to make sure there is exhaust in the garage for the chiller, since it puts off heat.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yes both inline. Got them from a Company that does marine exhibits.

Heater is 220v, and Chiller is 115v. Manufacturer said to make sure there is exhaust in the garage for the chiller, since it puts off heat.
Nice.......IMO, I would have added the skimmer same location as the main system....easier access.

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to comment on the filtration setup other than how do you plan on regular maintenance on your skimmer? Is this a finished attic with easy access? Is it a climate controlled space?

I would be more concerned with running highly pressurized saltwater that close to your main breaker panel. This would be a big no no here.

When we built our house plumber had to move the washer drain line and an ac condensate drain line because it ran under the main panel and inspector would not pass it. Your running a high pressure pump just a couple feet from it.:oops:
These are great points @Jamie814 :

"how do you plan on regular maintenance on your skimmer? Is this a finished attic with easy access? Is it a climate controlled space?"

It's definitely not a finished attic, I added attic stairs right by the DT and the sump, so you can get up there easily. I'm hoping the volume of water and the chiller can counteract the summer heat with the sump up there...

"I would be more concerned with running highly pressurized saltwater that close to your main breaker panel. This would be a big no no here."

Agreed, looking at changing configuration in the garage, challenge is keeping the equipment setup in a way that won't cost a parking stall inside. Alternatively, i'm looking at a 100amp shunt, that will effectively be a GFCI on that entire subpanel.

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.......IMO, I would have added the skimmer same location as the main system....easier access.
I would prefer that, if I could figure out how to do it....

I think the challenge here is because there is no gravity drain, and it's such a remote location, I'd have to match input and exit flow rates using pumps/valves, if there are any snags, it runs dry, or overflows...Where as putting it above the tank, I only have to pipe it in from the manifold, and let it gravity drain.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pump is pushing this? Im so impressed. I have done some motor work on pumps at the local bass pro. They have pool pumps running their aquariums. A room full of 1.5hp and some 3hp 3 phase motors

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pretty beefy pump, my goal was to provide 10x + turnover rate of the display tank (DT), est 6000 GPH. The tank is almost 500 gallons.

1684287127128.png

The pump will fill the sump, and the bubbles will be made by the mini pump in the protein skimmer, and gravity drain back into the DT.

Since it's closed loop suction and return should be balanced. Use ball valves to adjust suction at skimmer box and deeper in the tank.

Wasn't planning wave makers, since the flow is relatively high. Maybe sprayer bar at the top for oxygenation.

Am I missing anything crucial for flow / filter / life support?
aquarium filter setup.jpg
I love this!

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pump is pushing this? Im so impressed. I have done some motor work on pumps at the local bass pro. They have pool pumps running their aquariums. A room full of 1.5hp and some 3hp 3 phase motors
Thanks! Remember, needs to be a pump rated for salt water, as the impeller material will corrode if not proper application.

This pump is a 3HP 230v Pentair Sparus.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Remember, needs to be a pump rated for salt water, as the impeller material will corrode if not proper application.

This pump is a 3HP 230v Pentair Sparus.

Not what i was expecting. I have built somethings like this. But they are intended for people. How do you backwash, rather where does the wash water draw? What media is in that? Where do you live? Oh man i want to see this first hand to play.

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what i was expecting. I have built somethings like this. But they are intended for people. How do you backwash, rather where does the wash water draw? What media is in that? Where do you live? Oh man i want to see this first hand to play.

You just flip the dial to backwash, and activate the blower, it backwashes the filter into a plumbed waste line.

The backwash is done with water from the suction lines, so you get the dual benefit of being able to use it to change the water as well.

Media is a bunch of tiny beads.

I'm in Northern California.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy. Looking at your schematic gives me questions on the physical plumbing. Im using my phone and cant zoom in on your pics. With the size pump you have head room isnt an issue getting water up to your skimmer. The return being gravity will be out paced by your pump. Unless your drain is over 3". A return pump would be what i do. Its similar to how a negitive edge is pumped on a pool. Also if ypu put a dc pump you can play with the return via remote

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very similar sized glass media filters on a set of 500 gallon hot tubs i maintain. They are often difficult to backwash clean after so long. I usually have to drain the entire 500 to get a really clean backwash and avoid a huge cloud kicking back into the water and ruining clarity. This is why i asked where your backwash is drawen from. You might want to consider a bypassed water storage tank used for rinsing the filter media apart from a large volume water change style cleaning. Just in case you need to clean without a big purge.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filtration pumps are half the size of yours but my head pressure is a fraction of what you lift

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very similar sized glass media filters on a set of 500 gallon hot tubs i maintain. They are often difficult to backwash clean after so long. I usually have to drain the entire 500 to get a really clean backwash and avoid a huge cloud kicking back into the water and ruining clarity. This is why i asked where your backwash is drawen from. You might want to consider a bypassed water storage tank used for rinsing the filter media apart from a large volume water change style cleaning. Just in case you need to clean without a big purge.
That’s a great idea.

I do have the return going through sediment filter, and floss to help prevent that- but I like the bypass idea a lot!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back