Cloudy tank while dropping salinity for hypo

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of dropping my salinity in the display tank to treat ich, I’ve taken out inverts and lowered it over the course of one day from 1.024 to 1.015. This morning though I found the tank cloudy, indicating a bacterial bloom of some type I’m assuming. Thankfully the ammonia is still at 0 but is this something that should resolve itself or what do I need to do to fix?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase aeration if bacterial bloom

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I pointed both of the outlets from my filter to the surface ao that should help things a bit then.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I predict it will clear up in a couple of hours. lol

FWIW, I'll remove the emergency tag. :)

You should add clairvoyant to your list of titles :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I should probably expect something similar when I make the drop from 1.015 to 1.009, right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should add clairvoyant to your list of titles :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I should probably expect something similar when I make the drop from 1.015 to 1.009, right?

I have not seen before that dropping salinity causes a bacterial bloom. Not sure why you did, if that is what it was.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen before that dropping salinity causes a bacterial bloom. Not sure why you did, if that is what it was.

I can't think of any other reason the water would be that cloudy. It seemed to happen in the span of 3-4 hours despite my last salinity drop being around 6 hours from when I last saw the tank. But from what I've researched there is usually a spike in ammonia when something like that happens and there was none.

Back