Cloudy water I can't seem to resolve

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My IM Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon mixed reef has been up and running since its cycle completed in mid-October (~2 months). I have a pair of ocellaris clownfish and a handful of mostly LPS corals. All seem to be doing well. I also have 5 cerith snails which will come into play later.

About three weeks ago I started getting some diatoms (or a different brown algae?) on my sand bed and rock work. I picked up four tiny hermit crabs who made quick work of the algae on the rocks and seem to be trying to clear off the sand, but they don't quite keep up.

About a week ago, my water started appearing a bit cloudy white. I've attached a photo where you can see the algae on the sand bed and a slight haziness in the water. The haziness is a bit worse than this now, especially when you look at the tank from the side.

Levels since the beginning of the cloudiness are:

Nitrate: 0.25-1 ppm

Phosphate: 0.00-0.01 ppm

Calcium: 380-450 ppm

Alkalinity: 8.3-10.2 dKH
(10.2 was immediately after a water change with Red Sea Coral Pro, which mixes to 12.5 dKH)

Magnesium: 1,380-1,440 ppm​

At first I tried to do nothing, hoping it would clear itself. It has not. This weekend I did a 25% water change and a thorough cleaning of all the pumps, skimmer, heater, etc. Still cloudy. I've tried to read as much as I can about this and I have a few theories below. Can anyone help me determine which, if any of these are the case?
  1. I have oolite sand (huge mistake) and I originally thought the cloudiness might be from a sandstorm. I turned down my MP10 powerhead for a couple days and this didn't seem to have any effect.
  2. My skimmer produces some microbubbles and it is even worse now after I cleaned it in vinegar, but when I turn the skimmer off and the microbubbles subside, the water is still cloudy.
  3. My best guess is a bacterial bloom.
    • About two weeks ago I added copepods from AlgaeBarn to my tank. I was broadcast feeding them 5ml of phytoplankton everyday. When the water started getting cloudy, I thought it might be due to the phytopankton, so I've stopped feeding that for 3-4 days now. Is it possible that the haziness is due to the copepods dying?
    • I would expect a bacterial bloom to be the result of something in the tank dying. Since I can account for all of my corals, fish, and hermit crabs, the only remaining possibility is the snails. 15 minutes after I put them in the tank they buried themselves in the sand never to be seen again. When I check the tank at night, occasionally I can find one or two, and occasionally I'll see thin strips of clean glass where algae grows on the back panel. So I know at least one or two are alive. But all the rest could have died and I would have no way of knowing. Could this be causing my bacterial bloom? If so, what should I do?
    • I also dose Red Sea NoPoX, which caused similar blooms in my tank during cycling. Those only lasted a day or two, though. I have also stopped dosing the NoPoX for a few days to see if that helps.
    • Finally, I set up an Alkalinity doser two weeks ago. It doses ~2.25ml of Red Sea Alk solution per day, which is equal to my tank's uptake of ~0.4dKH per day. This has kept the Alk fairly constant between 8.5-9.5 over the past two weeks. I dose Calcium by hand once per week, enough to raise the level by 20ppm, which is roughly what the tank is consuming per week. Could my dosing have led to the cloudiness? And if so, shouldn't it subside pretty quickly?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_5203_small.jpg

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Yep. Bacterial bloom. Takes a few days or so for it to work itself out. All part of the "new tank uglies" phases. Do you have a turkey baster or sea squirt to blast your sand bed with?

OP
OP
grassy_noel

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big G, thanks for the reply!

I do have a turkey baster. I feel pretty stupid that when I was doing my water change this weekend, I opted to vacuum out the sump section of the tank first and by the time I was done I only had half a gallon left to vacuum the sand bed. I think I probably should have vacuumed the sand bad exclusively.

I just picked up some new filter socks, so based on your comment I'll try putting those in and puffing the sand bed to raise the junk up into the water. Hopefully the filter socks will catch most of it in a couple hours and then I can take them out and wash them.

Thanks again! Definitely feeling the new tank "uglies". Keep telling myself to be patient...

OP
OP
grassy_noel

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick follow up. Following your advice, I did blast the substrate with a turkey baster and ran my powerhead fairly high while I did so. Later that night I changed my filter pad/sock. Then, I just waited. Sure enough about 2-3 days later the water started to clear up and a week later it was so clear it almost hurts my eyes to look at (in a good way). Can't thank you enough for your advice, and it confirms for me that nothing good in this hobby happens quickly!

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 86 54.1%
  • NO

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back