Clove polyps not happy?

jmNoles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone reason for clove polyps to stay retracted for extended periods? I added a frag last Sunday and they opened for a few days, but have remained closed since around Wednesday. Currently in a low flow/medium light area of the tank. For comparison, all other corals (green hammer, GSP and superman rhodactis) are open and happy.

Cal: 460
Alk: 6.7 (I'm slowly raising by .5 every 24hrs)
Mag: 1270
Nitrate: 2
Phosphate: under .02
Light is a reefbreeders photon at around 35% power

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone reason for clove polyps to stay retracted for extended periods? I added a frag last Sunday and they opened for a few days, but have remained closed since around Wednesday. Currently in a low flow/medium light area of the tank. For comparison, all other corals (green hammer, GSP and superman rhodactis) are open and happy.

What is your salinity at? Also, how stable do you maintain it?

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you had it in its current spot of the tank? Is it possible it hasn’t had enough time to fully acclimate ti the lighting and flow?

OP
OP
jmNoles

jmNoles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it in its current spot of the tank? Is it possible it hasn’t had enough time to fully acclimate ti the lighting and flow?
Not counting today, 5 days. I sat it on the sand bed in a corner to light acclimate for 3 days then moved it onto its own rock nearby, so it may just hate the new location.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not counting today, 5 days. I sat it on the sand bed in a corner to light acclimate for 3 days then moved it onto its own rock nearby, so it may just hate the new location.
It’s hard to judge lighting and flow when I can’t see the tank obviously. That being said, the corners of my tank have never had enough light to support my clove polyps. It’s possible that they may not have had enough light at first, and then the move to brighter light shocked them. Personally, I would leave them where they’re at and see if they adjust in another few days. I’ve had a single zoa polyp take three weeks to open before. If nothing changes or they seem to start doing worse, you could try moving them to a shaded section of lighting. Somewhere they will get enough PAR, without being blasted by light. A lot of softies seem to prefer this kind of lighting IME.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a hypothesis, but, in reality, there’s a million reasons why it may not be opening. Have there been any other visible changes to the coral itself aside from being closed? As in shrinking or browning polyps?

OP
OP
jmNoles

jmNoles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to judge lighting and flow when I can’t see the tank obviously. That being said, the corners of my tank have never had enough light to support my clove polyps. It’s possible that they may not have had enough light at first, and then the move to brighter light shocked them. Personally, I would leave them where they’re at and see if they adjust in another few days. I’ve had a single zoa polyp take three weeks to open before. If nothing changes or they seem to start doing worse, you could try moving them to a shaded section of lighting. Somewhere they will get enough PAR, without being blasted by light. A lot of softies seem to prefer this kind of lighting IME.
Here's a photo of them right now with light 2/3 of the way ramped up
1635784187375.jpeg

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo of them right now with light 2/3 of the way ramped up
1635784187375.jpeg
They don’t look too good. Definitely shriveled up. I would maybe try moving them to lower light. I can’t tell by the picture, but when my zoas start to shrivel and shrunk it’s typically because of too much light.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This is what mine looks like. It’s a hitchhiker that I never got rid of. I have it in lower light than most other corals in my tank. I’ve had it even further to the right and it’s fine firm there too. I would assume too much light before assuming not enough. If it starts to stretch toward the light, then it needs to be in higher light.
451A001A-3BF9-40A7-A9B5-03D6C38A867A.jpeg

OP
OP
jmNoles

jmNoles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t look too good. Definitely shriveled up. I would maybe try moving them to lower light. I can’t tell by the picture, but when my zoas start to shrivel and shrunk it’s typically because of too much light.
Gotcha. I'm going to lower the light intensity some today and see how they respond, since there aren't many other places in the tank that would have lower light

Back