Clown fish are eating my Anemone during spawning

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love google
Carpet anemones are carnivorous, using their stinging tentacles to capture zooplankton, urchins, snails, crabs, shrimps, and small fish as well as detritus and waste from their host anemonefish.

However, they mostly derive their energy from the symbiotic zooxanthellae living within their cells.
Darn, you beat me to it!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem seems to be healthy it has good color, it could be stickier, originally I thought adding light would improve its health but then it went on a rant throughout the entire tank
Yeah, this will happen. If it's colorful, and stuck to an area, that means it's happy right where it is. Adding more light probably wasn't the best idea if the nem was happy.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was just looking at the tank and noticed a price of the anemone caught in the algae, my clownfish have had a couple rounds of eggs in the past month and there nest is directly next to their anemone, could they be damaging the nem?? The rank also has a large algae problem if you guys have any solutions for that
Ive had this possible and I have had clowns do this to take over the rock as they are not the smartest. Over high nitrates , high phos will have an impact on them and the zooxanthellae is a color and energy source for them and will not cause tentacles to fall off however, high/excess flow will

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again I think it’s bleached
I’ve seen white carpet nems (had one growing up stung the crud out of my dad lol also ate some of our fish)
IMG_6387.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again I think it’s bleached
I’ve seen white carpet nems (had one growing up stung the crud out of my dad lol also ate some of our fish)
IMG_6387.jpeg
If it’s bleached what should I change to improve this situation, I believe the feeding it takes to keep this thing alive is responsible for the algae so the beauty from the darn thing better be top tier

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s bleached what should I change to improve this situation, I believe the feeding it takes to keep this thing alive is responsible for the algae so the beauty from the darn thing better be top tier
I’m gonna say it again

Flakes- stop- switch to frozen. Better for the tank won’t make your nitrates and phosphates sky high.

Feed less. Say 3 times a week - I promise your fish won’t starve they don’t eat as much as we feed in the wild

Only feed what they can eat in like 2 minutes
Don’t feed the nem
Get the frozen food

Do a water change
Check the nitrates and phosphates
Don’t check numbers right after feeding
What kits do you use?
What types of lights do you have?
What’s your light cycle like?

And who the heck do I know who does nems…..maybe @F i s h y can help :D find someone

Look up care for carpet anemones

OP
OP
S

Snail Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna say it again

Flakes- stop- switch to frozen. Better for the tank won’t make your nitrates and phosphates sky high.

Feed less. Say 3 times a week - I promise your fish won’t starve they don’t eat as much as we feed in the wild

Only feed what they can eat in like 2 minutes
Don’t feed the nem
Get the frozen food

Do a water change
Check the nitrates and phosphates
Don’t check numbers right after feeding
What kits do you use?
What types of lights do you have?
What’s your light cycle like?

And who the heck do I know who does nems…..maybe @F i s h y can help :D find someone

Look up care for carpet anemones
Seems like great advice so far. I have a current USA light, it’s on for about 8 hours a day, I get my water tested by my local lfs (they get the job done right trust me, it’s high speed)

monica HHF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the name but it’s the one that spins (that’s probably not helpful at all, but it’s a quality one)
This is what a stressed carpet nem looks like. He got damaged accidentally when acclimatizing…. Yea, but I have a 300 gal, 14 year old tank. They have to get injured in the wild so I’m a little hopeful. This is day 2.

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 6

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back