Clownfish HELP!!

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I screwed up and impulse bought 4 clownfish, 2 misbar Darwin and 2 semi Picasso, I already had 2 regular clownfish so now I have 6. The fact that this may be a bad idea was an afterthought. I googled it after this ophinay and found put its not a good idea.

I bought a fluuval Evo to house the 2 semi picasso, put the 2 Darwin in my tank where the existing clownfish. It wasn't the best at first but it's gotten really bad. They are constantly picking at one specific Darwin. I took the bullied Darwin to my nano tank but he started bullying the semi Picasso clowns. So now I've taken him back the the big tank and taken the regular clowns in it. We've been building a 40 gallon and it will be done in a day or two, does anyone know if this would be sufficient for the next 24 to 72 hours? I have them in a 1 gallon Tupperware with a bubbler. I figured if they can go 24 to 32 hours in a little bag this should be fine for a little longer but ive been wrong before..

170615041668463405826875267561.jpg

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put it in a breeder box/isolation chamber inside the tank? Those have holes to allow the water to flow through but keeps the fish separate. I don't like the look of that temporary container...

When the fish are sealed in a bag the rising CO2 from their respiration drops the pH in the bag which makes the ammonia less toxic. That's why when you've had a fish shipped a longer distance it's really important to get them out of that water ASAP; when the bag is opened the CO2 can escape, the pH comes back up, and the ammonia is converted to a toxic form again.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hate them in there to but I really don't want any of them to die or beat eachother up. I'll go get a breeder box first thing in the am.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add a small piece of live rock or media from your filter as well, just to help process any waste?

I think I've seen people make makeshift DIY breeder boxes by poking holes in a tupperware and hanging it in the tank, that might be an option for you as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I screwed up and impulse bought 4 clownfish, 2 misbar Darwin and 2 semi Picasso, I already had 2 regular clownfish so now I have 6. The fact that this may be a bad idea was an afterthought. I googled it after this ophinay and found put its not a good idea.

I bought a fluuval Evo to house the 2 semi picasso, put the 2 Darwin in my tank where the existing clownfish. It wasn't the best at first but it's gotten really bad. They are constantly picking at one specific Darwin. I took the bullied Darwin to my nano tank but he started bullying the semi Picasso clowns. So now I've taken him back the the big tank and taken the regular clowns in it. We've been building a 40 gallon and it will be done in a day or two, does anyone know if this would be sufficient for the next 24 to 72 hours? I have them in a 1 gallon Tupperware with a bubbler. I figured if they can go 24 to 32 hours in a little bag this should be fine for a little longer but ive been wrong before..

170615041668463405826875267561.jpg
Cant see anything in this container do to frosted color plastic. You will want to either isolate the darwin in isolation /acclimation box or eliminate the bully ether a time out in the sump or re-home it as there is a term clownfish hierarchy where the dominant female will hog the tank, chase other fish, steal all the food and even bite other clowns

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back