CMO's SPS Dominant 165G Mixed Reef Build (Triton)

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a custom chiller and UV surround over the past few weekends.

IMG_20181228_153915.jpg

IMG_20181228_153718.jpg

Also removed the wiper units on my aqua ultraviolet UV due to rust. The company said this is likely caused by air gaps in the units with how I had them plumbed horizontally before. I order the twist housings and transferred my lamps in order to re-plumb with an upflow pattern and last outlet facing up to prevent air gaps.

IMG_20181201_114302.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pre-quarantined Borbonias Anthias from TSM corals. This guy is super cool to watch and was very easy to acclimate with my already well established group of fish. No aggression whatsoever from either party. Highly recommend TSM coral. The fish arrived in a huge amount of water for it's size and ate from day one.

IMG_20190110_180758.jpg IMG_20190110_180714.jpg

Last edited:

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pre-quarantined Borbonias Anthias from TSM corals. This guy is super cool to watch and was very easy to acclimate with my already well established group of fish. No aggression whatsoever from either party. Highly recommend TSM coral. The fish arrived in a huge amount of water for it's size and ate from day one.

IMG_20190110_180758.jpg IMG_20190110_180714.jpg

Very cool, I’ve always wanted a Borbonias anthias. I visited the TSM site, they have some nice stuff. Is everything they have pre-acclimated, or was that a special deal for that particular anthias? I didn’t see mention of pre acclimation on any of their fish or anywhere else, maybe I missed something.

I’ve been following your system from the beginning. You have really done a great job with everything , very impressive.

Jason

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, I’ve always wanted a Borbonias anthias. I visited the TSM site, they have some nice stuff. Is everything they have pre-acclimated, or was that a special deal for that particular anthias? I didn’t see mention of pre acclimation on any of their fish or anywhere else, maybe I missed something.

I’ve been following your system from the beginning. You have really done a great job with everything , very impressive.

Jason

Thanks for following along Jason! Yeah they don't say much on their site but I reached out to TSM directly and they confirmed that all of their fish are fully QT'd prior to sale. I originally caught wind of them from positive comments here on R2R related to pre-QT'd fish. Hard to beat the sale they have going on right now at $225 for the Borbonias - they're a nice size too.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to fight some bryopsis. A bit nervous about this given some of the issues noted with fluconazole and SPS but don't have much of a choice since it's expanding very quickly. I tried manual removal and also added 8 lettuce slugs for about the last month but neither are really reversing its course. The lettuce slugs definitely eat it but not fast enough. Added 3000 mg of Fish Flucon from Thomas labs today.

Here is one of the worst spots prior to starting treatment for comparison down the road.

IMG_20190202_173835.jpg

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I had a ton of bryopsis in my frag tank a while back and treated with fluconazole. It worked well for me and all my sps were fine.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report that fluconazole worked well. Corals are mostly unaffected by the treatment and Bryopsis is gone best I can tell. However, the flucon did throw my water chemistry out of wack and reduced alk consumption pretty considerably. I also noticed PE loss on a few acros. Chaeto died back considerably but not completely. However, other macros (flame algae and gracilaria) were unaffected and continued to growth throughout treatment.

Updated Photo as of today.

IMG_20190224_121203.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this insane Trachy from the LFS this weekend (Ocean's Tropical Fish in Mission Viejo). He still has more of equal quality if anyone local is looking for one. Definitely my new favorite coral. It looks pretty much just like this in both white and blue light.

IMG_20190302_190644.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few weeks or so I've noticed things seemed off in my tank. Certain SPS that always had good color and PE started to turn slightly green/brown and lose some PE. Some of my SPS also have also been excreting some sort of white slime like substance. Well, just got an ICP test that shows a good amount of Tin got into my system somehow so hopefully that explains it. Did one 20% water change and ran cuprisorb which removed all tin quickly. Pretty sure I found the culprit to be a metal basket I had attached to the inside of the door of my sump that was collecting condensation and dripping into the sump.

upload_2019-3-3_21-13-54.png

Last edited:

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this insane Trachy from the LFS this weekend (Ocean's Tropical Fish in Mission Viejo). He still has more of equal quality if anyone local is looking for one. Definitely my new favorite coral. It looks pretty much just like this in both white and blue light.

IMG_20190302_190644.jpg

Wowwowwow

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few weeks or so I've noticed things seemed very slightly off in my tank. Certain SPS that always had good color and PE started to turn slightly green/brown and lose some PE. Some of my SPS also have also been excreting some sort of white slime like substance. I didn't think much of it and chalked it up to higher nutrients levels from my fluconazole treatment which knocked out my Cheato pretty good. Well, just got an ICP test that shows a good amount of Tin got into my system somehow so hopefully that explains it. 6 x 15% water changes are in order to correct this according to Triton. Fun. :mad:

Also CA is pushing 585 so time to turn down the dose of Core 7 part 2 relative to the other solutions which I've been dosing equally until now.

upload_2019-3-3_21-13-54.png
Have you been able to determine how the tin got into your system?

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been able to determine how the tin got into your system?

Pretty sure I found the culprit to be a metal basket I had attached to the inside of the door of my sump that was collecting condensation during my flucon treatment with skimmer cup removed and dripping into the sump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup is far outside my comfort range I cant even...but wow! Something to which I can aspire

Lol thanks and I hear you. I've only had nano tanks before this one so it was definitely a big learning process dreaming up and building this thing.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back