OP
Crawford_T

Crawford_T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am new to this forum but not to saltwater. It’s been about 10 years since my last tank so I’m excited to have this one started. I’ll update here as I go along.

OP
OP
Crawford_T

Crawford_T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I just redid the aquascape with some extra BRS rock, tanks nice and cloudy again. Will post pictures after it settles out.

OP
OP
Crawford_T

Crawford_T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated FTS with the added rock. Hard to do it justice without light and on a phone. More surface area for coral along the bottom plus a little pass through cave. MP10 and heater controller get here this week. Kessil next week.

Cycle is going well. The tank processes 2ppm ammonia to .25 in 24hr. Nitrites are still high but coming down. Slow and steady wins the race.

IMG_6487.jpeg

OP
OP
Crawford_T

Crawford_T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the cycle is just about finished up, 0 ammonia, almost undetectable nitrite and a fair amount of nitrate.

Since the last time I posted, I purchased and installed a Kessil A160. I was immediately underwhelmed and over the first day grew to dislike the color regardless of the “color” adjustment. The wife came home and immediately commented that she “hated it” which sealed the deal in my head that it had to go. BRS was super pleasant to deal with and agreed to take my return.

I say all of that to say, I ordered a Radion XR15 pro during their free RMS mount sale. The tank is a bit small for such a light but looking around it seems people with similar tanks have used one with success. Love to hear people’s input on the Radion as I’ve always wanted one but have never had one.

scubatan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask you what your cycle steps were? I’m starting my first tank and was thinking of using fish food or ammonia (dr Tim’s) along with Fritz 9, then just waiting.

OP
OP
Crawford_T

Crawford_T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the Dr. Tim’s w/ammonia route this time around. I just followed the directions on the site, essentially you dose ammonia to 2ppm then test, then dose and test. Super simple, I’m on day 23 and the tank is cycled. I’ve been out of the hobby for a while so I’m used to letting the tank cycle for a month or so. It seems now a days people are adding fish essentially right away with the Fritz (never used nor did I look into it).

OP
OP
Crawford_T

Crawford_T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have life! Picked up 2 clowns today at my LFS, one “black snowflake” and one “orange storm”. Everyone seems happy and healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_6667.jpeg
    IMG_6667.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6669.jpeg
    IMG_6669.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6671.jpeg
    IMG_6671.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 4

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back