Come check out our blog "Guide to Successfully Acclimating Corals to LED Lighting" ~ ExtremeCorals.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ExtremeCorals

#1 Online Coral Colony Website in the US
View Badges
Reaction score
ec-logo.png

We have been adding to our blog section, here is one of our latest blogs
Come Check it out below:

Guide to Successfully Acclimating Corals to LED Lighting

1708455667476.png

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Nice write-up. But personally, I think I'd prefer having coral vendors provide accurate PAR values for the appropriate depth level that the particular coral they're selling has actually been held at in their own facility. (I don't know what the current time from their receipt to their sale of a given coral is in the industry. The closer it is to a month or two the more I'd be inclined to use that particular vendor.) A reference to color balance might be nice too, but I think that could be too subjective for such information to be usable. On the surface, this PAR use might seem too be too much effort/expense for a vendor to provide, but how hard would it be for them to implement this information with simple fixed reference data points in their holding tanks? Think of the neon plastic dollar references (chips/tokens?) that dealers provide at mega reef frag sales events with their show display set-ups. I'm sure there are printed reef parts suppliers who could easily provide mounts and PAR points for large scale sellers to easily mount in their systems. Would the PAR data be difficult for sellers to track and use? No, not if they simply appended the PAR info to the coral description fields in their sales systems.

But then, there are the newbs who won't be able to relate to the concept of PAR and their own lighting. (As well as existing users who are unwilling/unable to learn.) For them, manufacturers of automated lighting systems will eventually adopt the inclusion of metrics into their lighting systems that allows for the automated adjustment of PAR with the one time manual reduction of it when they add new coral to their system, and the automatic increase of the PAR for that coral over the following weeks. I believe that one lighting manufacturer, ReeFi, has already done this. And, there may be others I'm not yet aware of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back