Coming soon: affordable ozone reactor!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, wasn't meaning to be vague, I had just written a long response and it got deleted when I hit post, so I was a little irritated :) The first production models are completed and are getting photographed right now. We are working on finishing up the instruction manual while we wait for all of the bulk parts to arrive so we can start the real production. Pricing/specs/details will all be posted in the next 2 weeks. We have an estimated release/first ship date of 2-9.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How sweet it is!

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I see that the water enters and exits from the top of the reactor. Is the reactor completely filled with water when operating, or does the water trickle over the media in a wet/dry type setup? I wouldn't think the reactor would be filled with water. Does the pressurized state of the reactor keep it in a wet/dry state and force water up and out thru the center fitting on the lid?

Also, what is the purpose of the gray PVC pipe/cap on the base of the two larger reactors?

The reactors look nice.
Dave

Last edited:

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

Dave, the water enters via the venturi, is sprayed through the top drip plate and trickles through the media. The water exits through the central tube, since the reactor is pressurized, the pressure keeps the water level at the bottom of the reactor. Sizing this central tube/restriction point correctly so it eliminated valves and set the correct internal pressure is part of what took a little extra time ;-)

The cap; It is not used for the o3 reactor. We made some slight changes to our "media" reactors late last year to allow a variety of configurations. This means that a standard media reactor chamber can be converted to a o3 reactor, a calcium reactor, biopellet reactor, sulfur reactor, calcium reactor second chamber, whatever the next great thing is reactor, with only a few parts swapped out. By doing this, we are able to offer more standard sizes in both pre-built and diy kits and at the same time keep inventory lean and prices down. It also means a lot of flexibility to the end user.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hank you for the quick response. When will prices be posted?

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hank you for the quick response. When will prices be posted?

For AVAST built, hopefully this time next week at which point we will open up a pre-order for 2-9 ship date. The kits will start shipping a few weeks after that but pricing info will be available for all options at same time.

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally! Been waiting forever for this. I still don't get how you can do it without a valve to control pressure since people will have different pumps and carbon post-filters that could exert different amounts of pressure. BTW a reactor that can hold carbon media without the need for sponges would be awesome :)

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally! Been waiting forever for this. I still don't get how you can do it without a valve to control pressure since people will have different pumps and carbon post-filters that could exert different amounts of pressure. BTW a reactor that can hold carbon media without the need for sponges would be awesome :)

We will have a detailed manual written up that goes into pump selection. Basically, a mag-3 or Eheim 1250 class pump will generate about 3psi in a configuration with a 12" tall postfilter with 1/2" sch40 plumbing. This is the minimum recommended for the small reactor (We tested a MJ1200 too, which generated about 2.5psi, so that can be used on small systems). Larger pumps can be used, which will generate more pressure, but the venturi will limit the internal pressure to some degree.

I use fiberglass windowscreen on my carbon postfilter and it works well. I have mine configured in reverse, so that the ozone-laden water enters though the peripheral (output) fitting, uses the top media plate as a trickle diffuser, and is forced up the "down" tube and out the central fitting (basically exactly like the flow through the ozone reactor). This way only a layer of windowscreen on the bottom media plate is needed. I use the Filter Fine brand carbon which is lignite, and it doesn't really fall through the screen much at all.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any details on how to plumb the air and water pumps along with the downstream carbon filter. Do you plan to have a user manual or assembly instructions posted soon? Trying to figure out what all I would need. I have the Luft air pump and an extra AVAST media reactor for the post ozone reactor, but still can't visualize everything.

Also, what media is required and where can it be purchased?

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, looks really well thought out.

I assume with the DIY kit, the media is packaged separatly. When it says to run the equipment 24 hrs before activating the ozone, does that mean you just don't add the media until after it has run 24 hrs?

Is the ORP probe to attach to my APEX absolutely essential. I have heard the ORP probes are not very durable or reliable? Seems like you have designed the system to avoid overdosing issues?

Lastly, is the ozone level output in this system sufficient to combat dinos, which I am currently trying to eradicate?

Thanks for all the great products you guys are turning out at reasonable price!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back