Concerned about my Bubble Tip Anemone's Health - Need Advice!

OliverH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bubble tip anemone in my tank for some time now and it has been thriving until recently. Lately, I've noticed some changes in its appearance. Is it dying? What should i do. Water parameter is all good.

Now and before
1213.jpg
4fe12274a4dab3bb93130a90c7da02d2.JPG

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bubble tip anemone in my tank for some time now and it has been thriving until recently. Lately, I've noticed some changes in its appearance. Is it dying? What should i do. Water parameter is all good.

Now and before
1213.jpg
4fe12274a4dab3bb93130a90c7da02d2.JPG
Have you got a clear picture of the anemone in white light so members can give you correct info . Also put up all your water parameters/ lighting / flow in the tank . Thank you

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you test? I’m no expert but I think it looks dead. Do you have a QT tank you can put it in just in case it dies and won’t nuke your tank?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"NO3 0, PO4 0"

Not good. Feed more and consider adding something like vitachem marine to the fish food (the corals and anemones can get the leftovers

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you test? I’m no expert but I think it looks dead. Do you have a QT tank you can put it in just in case it dies and won’t nuke your tank?

A dead anemone of that size won't nuke a tank more than would a clownfish dying

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem does not look good but foot looks like it is still attached. Is it holding on, or can you lightly brush it off? If the latter, it's likely one foot in the grave. If the former, I would probably try to treat it with cipro outside the tank.

How long have you been running zero nitrates and phosphates? That is generally considered undesirable in a reef tank.

How long has it been in your tank? How old is your tank? Dry rock or live rock? What lights?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
API reef master and Maxspect jump 165
Just looked at your other posts. Aquascape looks good and so do the other corals in the tank with the flow and light.

Few things though. First, get better test kits, API won't cut it. Second, you need nutrients and zero nutrients is a fallacy, most with sps will still shoot for higher than you have. 20 nitrates and .1 phos is golden. People can have different types of nutrients, but zero is a razer thin edge which can kill coral. Lastly, three months old is young and most people can't keep an Anemone at that time frame, tanks need to mature.

OP
OP
OliverH

OliverH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem does not look good but foot looks like it is still attached. Is it holding on, or can you lightly brush it off? If the latter, it's likely one foot in the grave. If the former, I would probably try to treat it with cipro outside the tank.

How long have you been running zero nitrates and phosphates? That is generally considered undesirable in a reef tank.

How long has it been in your tank? How old is your tank? Dry rock or live rock? What lights?
I think it can hold on. I'll try to raise the nitrates and phos. Thx for the advice.

OP
OP
OliverH

OliverH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at your other posts. Aquascape looks good and so do the other corals in the tank with the flow and light.

Few things though. First, get better test kits, API won't cut it. Second, you need nutrients and zero nutrients is a fallacy, most with sps will still shoot for higher than you have. 20 nitrates and .1 phos is golden. People can have different types of nutrients, but zero is a razer thin edge which can kill coral. Lastly, three months old is young and most people can't keep an Anemone at that time frame, tanks need to mature.
Would Salifert be better? I'll try to raise the nitrates and phos. Thx for advice!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it can hold on. I'll try to raise the nitrates and point of sale. Thx for the advice.
Just looked at your build. Nice tank, but still quite young for a BTA. They seem to like very mature environments.

Light looks good. I'm surprised the BTA is staying low instead of moving up higher to get more light. It might be bothered by something else.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, salifer it very commonly used by reefers.

Salifert is quite good and the tests are pretty convenient. Salifert phosphate is hard to read. Hanna is better for that, but I use Salifert phosphate as a crude readout--is there ANY color at all? Yes? Ok, good. Notrate works well, and Salifert ALK is my favorite ALK test so far.

SPS don't like 0 either. Nothing does. 0's are only ok if you do heavy feeding an even then its usually a sign you are at the bare minimum or not feeding enough

Agreed. You really need to know what's happening in your tank. Are you producing lots of nitrates/phosphates that are being consumed by all your corals? Or are you adding just enough food to keep your fish fed and nutrients low?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above says nems like a bit of nitrate and phosphate. And yes the anemone doesn’t look good but I have seen them bounce back . If it eventually not footing any more I would pull it but if it is still attached to rock and there is no death smell when you are close to the water then let it be . Also I use salfert test kits and they are good. Ph Alk nitrate mag cal phosphate. Also get them nitrate and phosphate off 0 put them up a bit this could be coral sucking it up or not enough feeding if it’s corals taking it you may have to dose for nitrate. What I would do is slow down on water changes feed a bit more and see if they come up if not then maybe dosing . How long do you run your skimmer per day . In nano tanks I don’t use skimmers just regular water changes Keeps things under control . Just keep a very close eye on it keep checking for no footing/ smell of death you won’t mistake it and cloudy water . Bits dropping off it . Then it’s time to pull it . Your water quality has to be stable no big swings . Please keep us all updated thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back