Conch Id

edmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID on this conch? Maybe too small to tell but I found it yesterday and lost it shortly after.

IMG_2590.jpeg IMG_2590.jpeg

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the color and the location, I would assume florida fighting conch, but I'm not used to seeing them climb around on rocks - mine can climb up the glass a bit but really spend all their time in the sand bed. Could be that juveniles are more in the rocks, but I can't say for sure.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are dove snails native to the gulf? I forgot to mention it came out of my Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock.
That could change things, @ISpeakForTheSeas?
There are a number of dove snails (taxonomic family Columbellidae) native to Florida and the surrounding areas, but I don't think this is a dove snail - OP, could you pull the snail out in a container of tank water and get some pics of it under white light (preferably against a black background)?

I'm thinking this snail looks suspiciously predatory, but clearer pics would help with saying for sure.

Edit: To add - Florida Fighting Conch is a solid guess at this point too; again, more pics would be helpful.

OP
OP
E

edmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of dove snails (taxonomic family Columbellidae) native to Florida and the surrounding areas, but I don't think this is a dove snail - OP, could you pull the snail out in a container of tank water and get some pics of it under white light (preferably against a black background)?

I'm thinking this snail looks suspiciously predatory, but clearer pics would help with saying for sure.

Edit: To add - Florida Fighting Conch is a solid guess at this point too; again, more pics would be helpful.
I lost sight of it and it disappeared. It’s so tiny it will be difficult to spot again, but if I find it I’ll post some pictures.

OP
OP
E

edmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found it, here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2631.jpeg
    IMG_2631.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2628.jpeg
    IMG_2628.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 19

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it, here it is.
Yeah, that looks like a Murex/Muricid snail of some kind to me - typically predatory to bivalves (clams, mussels, oysters, etc.) and other snails.

Probably not a keeper for you display, but could be a cool sump snail.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would expect to see one of those mean looking spikes instead of a door on a conch, and the opening on the bottom is a slit (so the eyes/trunk can peer out the pointy end) rather than a hole, so yeah, probably not a conch.

OP
OP
E

edmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that looks like a Murex/Muricid snail of some kind to me - typically predatory to bivalves (clams, mussels, oysters, etc.) and other snails.

Probably not a keeper for you display, but could be a cool sump snail.
Thanks, and do you think it’ll be okay to release this guy into the ocean, as it came from my Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock and I live in the Tampa area?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and do you think it’ll be okay to release this guy into the ocean, as it came from my Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock and I live in the Tampa area?
It's strongly discouraged to release any critter that has been in captivity into the wild again to try and prevent the spread of non-native diseases, bacteria, etc. - personally, I wouldn't put it back; I'd sump it, offer it to other reefers/an LFS, etc.

OP
OP
E

edmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's strongly discouraged to release any critter that has been in captivity into the wild again to try and prevent the spread of non-native diseases, bacteria, etc. - personally, I wouldn't put it back; I'd sump it, offer it to other reefers/an LFS, etc.
I’ll do that, thanks!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back