Constantly Battling Debris

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like recommending algae eating critters like snails and urchins is just going to create more detritus.... urchins are a poop pellet factory.

You need to focus on pulling that suspended detritus into your filter socks, skimmer, sump and maybe gravel vac the substrate if it settles in areas.

Or maybe some type of canister/diatom filter set up for a few hours.

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like recommending algae eating critters like snails and urchins is just going to create more detritus.... urchins are a poop pellet factory.

You need to focus on pulling that suspended detritus into your filter socks, skimmer, sump and maybe gravel vac the substrate if it settles in areas.

Or maybe some type of canister/diatom filter set up for a few hours.

Did a 50 gallon change then 5 gallons of gravel vac. Cleaned my socks 2 days ago. Little to no difference today.

I've also never considered a canister filter and I'm not sure what a diatom filter is...? Any recommendations on a canister for about 300 gallons?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 50 gallon change then 5 gallons of gravel vac. Cleaned my socks 2 days ago. Little to no difference today.

I've also never considered a canister filter and I'm not sure what a diatom filter is...? Any recommendations on a canister for about 300 gallons?

I can't recommend a specific filter, but you need something that is forcefully pulling water through a filter/media designed for polishing water like a spa canister filter that would be used occasionally, a diatom filter is an old school water polishing filter that uses diatom skeletons as the media. More modern versions would use a filter sock inside a canister or a paper/plastic insert like used on hot tubs.

I believe what is going on is you are just stirring up the detritus in the tank and it isn't getting pulled into your sump.

Can you turn up the flow of your return pump? That may help with actual turn over through the tank.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back