Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many I could list but off the top of my head
  1. Harlequin Sweetlips are a common fish at my LFS
  2. I’ve once seen a stonefish which is both ugly and too dangerous to be smart for an LFS to sell. Not as stupid as blue ring octopus though
  3. Twin spot coris wrasse
  4. All species of unicorn tang
  5. Spadefish (sometimes called batfish but the nonbenthic batfish)
  6. Parrotfish
Why are Harlequin shrimp controversial?

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie I kinda wanted the stonefish :grinning-face-with-sweat:,

There are some close relatives in the scorpion fish family that don't grow as large as a stonefish, look similar, maybe a little more fish like. I have had them in a tank very successfully in the past. I didn't buy them, they live in the same rockpools locally, as do blue-ringed octopuses.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are Harlequin shrimp controversial?
Harlequin sweetlips are a fish. They are very attractive as juveniles but grow to somewhat ugly 28 inch fish. They're sold almost exclusively to new reefers without being told the necessary information on their care. Almost all die in short order.

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin sweetlips are a fish. They are very attractive as juveniles but grow to somewhat ugly 28 inch fish. They're sold almost exclusively to new reefers without being told the necessary information on their care. Almost all die in short order.
Oops. I read harlequin shrimp. Disregard.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this in petco today and I immediately thought of this thread! I have no idea what this is?
IMG_1182.jpeg

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this in petco today and I immediately thought of this thread! I have no idea what this is?
IMG_1182.jpeg

It's a scat. Brackish water, salt or fresh. Great weed eater. I've seen them used in goldfish ponds to keep the stringy algae down.

They do grow quite big. I've eaten them at about 12". Not bad tasting.

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no reef tank expert considering I just started my first reef system of 24 gallons just under two years ago. However I did have a 70 gallon fish only tank for many years in the 1990's. I've had an array of fish over the years and learned from my experiences.

Personally I love lionfish and have kept several over the years. I really love the look of clearfin lionfish (Pterois radiata) and the twinspot lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus). I just prefer not to keep them now knowing what I have learned.

I have also seen sea robins and batfish in the local stores here.

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an LFS that does similar, likes to buy things because they are “cool” but then I think to myself how many are actually going to buy that also because it’s “cool” and not have the proper experience or setup to responsibly care for it. I find it irresponsible. Aggravating to me because it’s such a great shop and they have so many great beautiful saltwater fish and freshwater, as well as corals and plants for the hobbyists, they have no need to buy those “cool” fish, other than for them to say “look at how cool this is!”. I’m not a fan of that type of thing personally.
In my opinion, if someone truly wants that different, not typically stocked “cool” fish, that customer will ask for it and ask them to order it for them and them only. They don’t need to just buy it to keep in their store for any random joe off the street with an inadequate setup to care for it to come in and buy.
They’ve done the blue ring octopus before and the stonefish, although I will say that with those, I guess they have gone about it the right way if there is a right way. They have at least only sold those to those who will sign a release form acknowledging they know what they are and the risks being taken to own one.

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an LFS that does similar, likes to buy things because they are “cool” but then I think to myself how many are actually going to buy that also because it’s “cool” and not have the proper experience or setup to responsibly care for it. I find it irresponsible. Aggravating to me because it’s such a great shop and they have so many great beautiful saltwater fish and freshwater, as well as corals and plants for the hobbyists, they have no need to buy those “cool” fish, other than for them to say “look at how cool this is!”. I’m not a fan of that type of thing personally.
In my opinion, if someone truly wants that different, not typically stocked “cool” fish, that customer will ask for it and ask them to order it for them and them only. They don’t need to just buy it to keep in their store for any random joe off the street with an inadequate setup to care for it to come in and buy.
They’ve done the blue ring octopus before and the stonefish, although I will say that with those, I guess they have gone about it the right way if there is a right way. They have at least only sold those to those who will sign a release form acknowledging they know what they are and the risks being taken to own one.
I totally agree. Not everyone has the budget or space to buy a large enough tank for everything you see in the stores. I will say, at least the two LFS I deal with will take back healthy fish in the case they are causing problems or outgrow their systems, The KEY however, is to make sure people are properly informed and educated about what they are looking to purchase and hopefully avoid these situations. Personally I would love 250+ gallon system, but it's not practical right now lol

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an email today that the local shop just got in a Maori wrasse. They average about three feet in length and weigh several hundred pounds.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an email today that the local shop just got in a Maori wrasse. They average about three feet in length and weigh several hundred pounds.
Well Māori wrasse is a genus not a species. I believe you are thinking of is a Napoleon or humphead wrasse. Cheilinus undulatus. If your LFS has one of those it may be illegal as that is a protected species under the endangered species act…

Some species of Māori wrasse are good for massive tanks like the red breasted Māori wrasse.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Oreni tilefish for a long time and it is hardy, interesting and great tank mate. Never have heard of them being controversial at all. Hmmm??
The main issue is a lot of Tilefish species aren't suitable for the average Reef Tank. In the wild, they're all found in deeper waters in flat terrain where they like to make burrows similar to a jawfish and usually live in pairs. Bright lighting, high flow (like in an SPS environment), and lots of rock structures aren't their thing and usually why they stress out a lot. They're also just very skiddish and jumpy in nature, especially the Purple tiles.
Ironically Elliot Lim from Marine Collectors says that in his experience, the Oreni is the most calm of all the species he's worked with which is surprising but nice to hear the most expensive species for once is the LEAST likely to Carpet surf lol

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Māori wrasse is a genus not a species. I believe you are thinking of is a Napoleon or humphead wrasse. Cheilinus undulatus. If your LFS has one of those it may be illegal as that is a protected species under the endangered species act…

Some species of Māori wrasse are good for massive tanks like the red breasted Māori wrasse.
According to my books, Maori/ Humphead are synonymous. Yes, they use C. undulatus as scientific name for both. It is a shame though that they would bring in such a fish. They claim to be an environmentally forward store.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally any large fish. Very few people have tanks large enough. Next would be a lot of butterfly fish or angelfish. So many fish die from starvation.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is pretty diligent at not bringing in the exotics thankfully. Though the biggest things I'd say I don't really agree with are:
The Big Tangs (Naso, Blonde Naso, Clown, Vlamingi, etc) they are very clear and do make sure theyre going to someone whos got a big enough system, but I just feel like these species absolutely need tanks that are 10's of thousands of gallons big. Especially the Unicorn and Vlamingi tangs. The Clown and Nasos are debatable but that's just my opinion.
Tank Bred Panther Groupers: Occasionally they'll bring in tank a bred panther grouper which are only a few inches, for obvious reasons I don't really agree with this. As stated by others, get huge at a fast rate.
Pacific Brown Octopus: On rare occasions, they'll get in what are called "Pacific Brown Ocotopus" from Indo. I'm not sure if its just an add on thrown in by supplier but I don't agree with Octos or any Ceph besides Dwarf Cuttles being kept in home aquaria unless you're a Biologist or a really, really good expert on Cephs. Especially Blue Rings

Last edited:

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have swum beside one bigger than I am. ... and yes, protected species here.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue is a lot of Tilefish species aren't suitable for the average Reef Tank. In the wild, they're all found in deeper waters in flat terrain where they like to make burrows similar to a jawfish and usually live in pairs. Bright lighting, high flow (like in an SPS environment), and lots of rock structures aren't their thing and usually why they stress out a lot. They're also just very skiddish and jumpy in nature, especially the Purple tiles.
Ironically Elliot Lim from Marine Collectors says that in his experience, the Oreni is the most calm of all the species he's worked with which is surprising but nice to hear the most expensive species for once is the LEAST likely to Carpet surf lol
The Oreni is model citizen in many ways. Always out swimming around and eats everything. No fuss, no jumping, no aggressiveness and just loves roaming the bottom of the tank. Great fish!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back