Conversions Pros and Cons please help

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm trying to convert my 55 gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater QT tank. I only have one flowerhorn fish in that tank. so if I remove the fish and add salt will the tank cycle again? or will the bacteria stay there? I can increase the SG slowly not all at once so the Bacteria won't be shocked. Will this work? Please need help here : )

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it will cycle again as FW and SW bacteria might be different? Not positive but I have never heard of someone changing their FW to SW without a proper cycle.

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an idea if they are the same. because like the BB in a bottle like seachem stability, Microbacter 7 etc., those you can use for both FW and SW right?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm trying to convert my 55 gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater QT tank. I only have one flowerhorn fish in that tank. so if I remove the fish and add salt will the tank cycle again? or will the bacteria stay there? I can increase the SG slowly not all at once so the Bacteria won't be shocked. Will this work? Please need help here : )

No, you need to start a new. The bacterial strains are different from saltwater and freshwater. So, if you convert to saltwater, you'll have to cycle it as a salt water tank. Some strains are similar. Microbacter and stability have some cross over microbe strains, but aren't complete. They can be used to start seeding bacteria, but still take time.

Last edited:

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this with a quick google search
Biological Filtration
The nitrifying bacteria in fresh and salt water are closely related, but slightly different. The freshwater bacteria are good for spiking a brackish tank, but a different strain of bacteria needs to colonize saltwater aquariums. Seeding aquariums with freshwater bacteria will speed up the process of cycling the new saltwater tank nonetheless.

OP
OP
lonewonderer

lonewonderer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you guys. BTW last question instead of creating another thread. Does BB live in hyposalinity waters? Because that is my plan to convert that tank and make it into a Hyposalinity QT.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you guys. BTW last question instead of creating another thread. Does BB live in hyposalinity waters? Because that is my plan to convert that tank and make it into a Hyposalinity QT.

If QT tank is the goal, the tank needs to be clean throughly before use.

Back