Cool and unique fish for a 5 gallon nano

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow clown goby.
they look nice, hardy And easy to feed. Mine like mysis shrimp and x-small TDO pellets.
59388126-B973-41DF-A256-FF8C2F4D7214.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, am I the only one that thinks some these recommendations are crazy? Like a royal gramma in a 5g. Do people not care about their livestock? I’m no PETA but we are taking these fish out of the wild and it should be our duty to provide the best possible life for it.
I'm sorry, I don't see the problem.

1685649753381.png

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, am I the only one that thinks some these recommendations are crazy? Like a royal gramma in a 5g. Do people not care about their livestock? I’m no PETA but we are taking these fish out of the wild and it should be our duty to provide the best possible life for it.
99.9% of any fish need more than 5 gallons but welcome to the hobby of fish keeping. Clowns need more than 5 gallons yet they are the most popular fish put in a 5 gal nano.

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madagascar Spotted Croucher Goby (Caracanthus madagascariensis). I have a pair in a 15 gallon nano. They hardly ever leave their coral home. Would be fine in a 5 gallon.

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99.9% of any fish need more than 5 gallons but welcome to the hobby of fish keeping. Clowns need more than 5 gallons yet they are the most popular fish put in a 5 gal nano.
My biggest pet peeve. Not only does it suck for the fish, it looks like crap. It’s all about proportions and perspective.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly man, this isn't the place to rant about this. If you want to rant about it please make a thread of your own.
One day down the road you're gonna walk into a store and happen to see one of these little guys and wish you went for it... honestly though I probably wouldn't be able to justify the price tag if i was living where most members here live...mine was a little less expensive i guess you could say so it wasnt a hard decision for me.
IMG_20230303_155529.jpg

gobybryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madagascar Spotted Croucher Goby (Caracanthus madagascariensis). I have a pair in a 15 gallon nano. They hardly ever leave their coral home. Would be fine in a 5 gallon.
These are tough to come by! Are they entertaining in the 15g?

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine both feed straight out of a feeder pipette. Spend most of the time in the pocilapora branches. Fun when they eat, and when moving around in the branches, but not a ton of activity. But unique, and look great.

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely curious on some really cool and unique fish for a 5 gallon evo tank. Stocking is limited of course due to size so something really out there would be a great way to utilize the small space I feel. What would be some good options ?
Clown goby Neon goby clownfish ocellaris

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread!

I am considering a goby for a 10 gallon, but not sure which one. I bought a Yasha & Randalls Pistol a few years back, and 3 Yashas later I don't think I want to try high-banded gobies anymore. They are just so incredibly fragile even with the perfect tank. The Randalls Pistol is still happy and alive though.

I also have a 5 gallon mixed reef I would like to add something. It already has a Neon Blue Goby. Any suggestions?? I am thinking just going with a YWG, but I remember when I worked at a LFS around 2005 the store had a YWG in their 70 gallon that was like 4"+.
reeftanb.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back