Cooper in reef tank

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i just have a quick question, i would love to here your feedback. I got my icp test and the only concerning thing was the copper levels which test at 6.67 mg per liter. Is that acceptable or should i take action? B) whats the maximum acceptable level? C) my rodi water tested 3.5 mg per liter which i guess thats were the coper came from, any suggestions on what to do? Or is this level non toxic to my corals
My tank is 350 litre net water volume

B1A0C0E2-3C49-4E56-A39C-260A54BEC7C3.png 43683D26-D52D-45D0-90D9-D147881B8689.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys, i just have a quick question, i would love to here your feedback. I got my icp test and the only concerning thing was the copper levels which test at 6.67 mg per liter. Is that acceptable or should i take action? B) whats the maximum acceptable level? C) my rodi water tested 3.5 mg per liter which i guess thats were the coper came from, any suggestions on what to do? Or is this level non toxic to my corals

B1A0C0E2-3C49-4E56-A39C-260A54BEC7C3.png 43683D26-D52D-45D0-90D9-D147881B8689.png
If there are any corals, or snails and other inverts in tank or intention to add some of the listed, you will want to utilize cuprisorb and continuously run carbon or chemipure blue to remove any traces of copper
A copper test kit such as hanna will also determine if any traces

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are any corals, or snails and other inverts in tank or intention to add some of the listed, you will want to utilize cuprisorb and continuously run carbon or chemipure blue to remove any traces of copper
A copper test kit such as hanna will also determine if any traces
Thanks for the reply. So that levels are indeed toxic? Can they result to coral death?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the reply. So that levels are indeed toxic? Can they result to coral death?
Not that they are deadly but as you may know, small traces are unacceptable with coral

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's 6.67 micrograms per litre, not ppm. 1000 times smaller.

I'd still remove it with polyfilter material.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ICP company is this?

Copper is required at some level and toxic at higher levels.

There's no specific number target, but I've had copper in my tank at 10-15 ug/L without apparent issue.

I'd just make sure there are no metal parts in the tank and not worry too much.

If I wanted to remove copper and other metals (good or bad, you cannot chose which), a polyfilter or cuprisorb or metasorb will work. GAC may work, since the copper is likely bound to organics.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ICP company is this?

Copper is required at some level and toxic at higher levels.

There's no specific number target, but I've had copper in my tank at 10-15 ug/L without apparent issue.

I'd just make sure there are no metal parts in the tank and not worry too much.

If I wanted to remove copper and other metals (good or bad, you cannot chose which), a polyfilter or cuprisorb or metasorb will work. GAC may work, since the copper is likely bound to organics.
Hey Randy, thank you for your reply. The ICP is ATI. I don't really know if i will go with ATI again, they got my alk at 7.7 dkh and my salinity at 33.5 and i kept retesting with my hanna and its at 8.3-8,4 dkh and salinity is 35 since i recalibrated my refractometer using recalibration solution and rodi water, making sure temperature was around 25 celcious. To be fair the sample i sent took 12 days to arrive and be tested so i guess their might have been some inaccuracy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, thank you for your reply. The ICP is ATI. I don't really know if i will go with ATI again, they got my alk at 7.7 dkh and my salinity at 33.5 and i kept retesting with my hanna and its at 8.3-8,4 dkh and salinity is 35 since i recalibrated my refractometer using recalibration solution and rodi water, making sure temperature was around 25 celcious. To be fair the sample i sent took 12 days to arrive and be tested so i guess their might have been some inaccuracy.

Ok, ATI is more likely to get copper correct than icp analysis based on published testing.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna Alk checker is not particularly accurate.
I assume ATI are doing an acid titration which is probably more accurate, but have no way of knowing that for sure.

I doubt they have made an error with salinity.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other.

Back