Copepods a good sign?

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some on the glass some time and some crawling all over my Halloween hermit are they a good thing?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
considering how people will sometimes pay up to 30 dollars for a peanut butter jar filled with them, id think yes, they are a good thing.

:p

But serious answer, yes. Copepods, especially free ones are a very good thing, as you didn't need to seed them.
Id start a phyto reactor and start getting phyto ready for dosing, if you intend to keep your tank somewhat stocked and wanted a mandarin or simular goby.

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
considering how people will sometimes pay up to 30 dollars for a peanut butter jar filled with them, id think yes, they are a good thing.
Oh wow really? I never worried too much about them as in my mind they were a bit of a nuisance so I cleaned the glass off with all the copepods on it a few months ago.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow really? I never worried too much about them as in my mind they were a bit of a nuisance so I cleaned the glass off with all the copepods on it a few months ago.
He's right.

I stocked them once when I set up my tank, and I'm doing it again today a few months later. One of the best cleanup crews. They eat almost everything you don't want and leave the good stuff alone. Plus they feed the fish.
If you wanted to keep fish like a mandarin, you need lots of pods. I think I paid around 50 bucks for a half gallon of them if I remember correctly.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes they are a very good thing, serving as micro cleanup crew and food for fish and corals. Nice!!

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's right.

I stocked them once when I set up my tank, and I'm doing it again today a few months later. One of the best cleanup crews. They eat almost everything you don't want and leave the good stuff alone. Plus they feed the fish.
If you wanted to keep fish like a mandarin, you need lots of pods. I think I paid around 50 bucks for a half gallon of them if I remember correctly.
That's one of my dream fish lol. My LFS says no because my tank is too small (15 gallons).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back