Copepods contaminated phyto cultures, any fix?

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto cultures were staying light, saw copepods in the cultures. Tried to strain them out with coffee filters with no success. Any ideas on how seperate or to kill the copepods without killing the phyto cultures? Can I freeze one of the cultures in hopes of taking out the pods and then reviving the phyto?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto to @Mr. Mojo Rising you can clean the culture but it so much easier to start over and just have a pod culture now too.

If you also culture pods I highly recommend keeping them in separate rooms from the phyto cultures or at least have some sort of barrier in between them. Also make sure to rubbing alcohol your hands between handling pods and phyto (it is also good practice to work on the phyto first, then pods).

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once pods are in phyto so are eggs and typically your never going to get them all. It is possible but not with household tools. Like someone said, not end of the world if your using for personal use, but if trying to sell as purse etc then just start over. Also, you cant freeze phyto as the ice crystals just destroy the cells and its then dead along with the pods. Refrigerating will only put pods and eggs into "stasis" or slow them down but they will live for a long time with phyto near by.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back